Dr. Theodora Kapoyannis, PhD
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Werklund School of Education, Specialization, Language and Literacy
PhD - Educational Research - Language and Diversity University of Calgary, 2018
MA - Teaching English as a Second Language University of Calgary, 2000
BEd - Social Studies University of Calgary, 1995
Dr. Theodora Kapoyannis is currently the Director of Field Experience (On -Campus Program) at the Werklund School of Education at the University of Calgary. She completed her PhD at the Werklund School of Education in 2018 with a specialization in Language and Diversity. Before beginning her Doctoral work, Theodora was a K-12 Educator, learning specialist and educational consultant for eighteen years.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Dr. Kapoyannis collaborates with a variety of government and non- government organizations across Alberta. She is an active member of the Greek Community of Calgary.
- English as a Second Language Specialist Council- Alberta Teacher’s Association- Member and Former President and Vice President
- Calgary Reads – Literacy Non- Profit -Consultant
- Greek Community of Calgary- Active Member
Areas of Research
Dr. Kapoyannis’ current research focuses on pre-service education and experiential learning. Her research interests include Adult Learning, Language Learning and Literacy, Diversity and Leadership.
- Adult learning
- Practicum and Preservice Education
- Leadership development
- Experiential Learning
- Language Learning
- Professional Learning
- Teacher Well-Being
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|EDUC 460.02||Specialization I Elementary English as an Additonal Language||Winter 2022|
|EDUC 556||Professional Development and Lifelong Learning||Winter 2022|
|EDUC 435||Literacy, Language and CUlture||Fall 2021|
- Reimagining Field Experience During COVID-19 - https://research.ucalgary.ca/covid-19/collaboration
- Online Teaching Excellence Award, Werklund School of Education. 2020
- Award Recipient / Guest Speaker: Celebrating Student Success, Werklund School of Education. 2017
- Ethel- King Shaw Doctoral Scholarship in Literacy , Werklund School of Education. 2015
- Doctoral Fellowship in Education, Alberta Teacher’s Association. 2015
- Burns, A., Danyluk, P., Kapoyannis, T., & Kendrick, A.. International Journal of E- Learning & Distance Education. 1-25. (2020)
- Brown, B., Burns, A., Kendrick, A., Kapoyannis, T., & Delanoy, N.. In M. K. Barbour & LaBonte, R., Stories from the field: Voices of K-12 Stakeholders during Pandemic, Canadian Education Network. 63-68. (2020)
- Kapoyannis, T. TESL Canada Journal, 36 (2). 1-25. (2019)
- Danyluk, P, Kapoyannis, T, Kendrick A. International Journal on Innocations in Online Education 5(1). (2021)
- Kapoyannis, T. Language and Literacy. 45-65. (2021)
- McNeilly E, Nickel J, Burns A, Danyluk P, Kapoyannis T, Kendrick A. Interchange. 1-10. (2022)
- The Writing Department. (2018, October). Calgary Reads with ELLs. Calgary, Alberta. (Training Video for Calgary Reads with English Language Learners)
- Getaneh, M. (2018, April). I remember the first day of ESL class: Memory still bothers Calgary Woman. Star Metro Calgary. Retrieved from: https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018/04/22/i-remember-the-first-day-of-esl-class-memory-still-bothers-calgary-woman.html