Dr. Sarah Elaine Eaton, PhD
Werklund School of Education, Specialization, Leadership
For media enquiries, contact
Content and Media Specialist
Doctor of Philosophy Leadership, Policy and Governance, University of Calgary, 2009
M.A. Hispanic Literature, University of Calgary, 1997
B.A. (Honours) English Literature, Saint Mary's University, 1992
Dr. Sarah Elaine Eaton, PhD, is an Associate Professor of Education at the University of Calgary, Canada. She holds a concurrent appointment as an Honorary Associate Professor, Deakin Learning Futures, Deakin University, Australia. She served as the inaugural Educational Leader in Residence, Academic Integrity at Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning, University of Calgary (2019-2022) and has served as the Chair, Leadership, Policy, and Governance Specialization Area (2021-2022).
Dr. Eaton’s research focuses on academic ethics in higher education. Her work can be found in the Canadian Journal of Higher Education, the British Educational Research Journal, Educational Policy, and the Journal of Academic Ethics, among other places.
Dr. Eaton is the Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal for Educational Integrity (Springer Nature), a Q1 (Education) journal published by BMC Springer. Dr. Eaton is the co-founder and co-editor of Canadian Perspectives on Academic Integrity.
Dr. Eaton is an internationally recognized authority in the field of academic ethics. In 2020 she received the National Research and Scholarship award from the Canadian Society for the Study of Higher Education (CSSHE) for her contributions to research on academic integrity in Canadian higher education. In 2022, she received the outstanding research award from the European Network for Academic Integrity (ENAI). Her books include:
Fake Degrees and Fraudulent Credentials in Higher Education (Eaton, Carmichael, & Pethrick, eds., 2023)
Ethics and Integrity in Teacher Education (Eaton & Khan, eds., 2023).
Contract Cheating in Higher Education: Global Perspectives on Theory, Practice, and Policy (Eaton, Curtis, Stoesz, Clare, Rundle, & Seeland, eds., 2022)
Academic Integrity in Canada: An Enduring and Essential Challenge (Eaton & Christensen Hughes, eds., 2022)
Plagiarism in Higher Education: Tackling Tough Topics in Academic Integrity (2021)
Women Negotiating Life in the Academy: A Canadian Perspective (Eaton & Burns, eds., 2020)
External Appointments and Elected Roles
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal for Educational Integrity
Chair, Society for the Study of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE) Committee on Academic Integrity and Contract Cheating (CAICC)
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- British Educational Research Association (BERA)
- Canadian Association for the Study of Education (CSSE)
- Canadian Association for Teacher Education (CATE)
- Canadian Society for the Study of Higher Education (CSSHE)
- International Center for Academic Integrity (ICAI)
- European Network for Academic Integrity (ENAI)
- International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL)
- Society for the Study of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE)
In addition, Dr. Eaton offers expertise to a variety of government and non-profit organizations. From 2012 to 2017 she supported the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs with her knowledge in the areas of program development, evaluation and strategic planning for educational organizations. Her work has contributed to the ongoing development and improvement of public diplomacy programs enacted through the teaching of American English that operate in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Areas of Research
Dr. Eaton’s research program focuses on academic ethics, specializing in academic integrity including plagiarism, contract cheating, and academic misconduct policy.
- Partenariat universitaire sur la prévention du plagiat (PUPP) / University Partnership for the Prevention of Plagiarism (PI: Dr. Martine Peters, UQO). Sarah Elaine Eaton, Co-investigator. SSHRC Partnership Grant 2021-2027 ($2,499,980 CAD) Reference: 895-2021-1016; Website: https://pupp.uqo.ca/en/home/
- Artificial Intelligence and Academic Integrity: The Ethics of Teaching and Learning with Algorithmic Writing Technologies.Sarah Elaine Eaton (P.I.), Robert Brennan (Co-Investigator), Jason Wiens (Co-Investigator), and Brenda McDermott (Co-Investigator). University of Calgary Teaching and Learning Grant 2022-2025 $40,000 CAD; Website: https://osf.io/4cnvp/
- Academic Integrity Online: Developing Support Mechanisms for Online Graduate Students to Understand Plagiarism. Sarah Elaine Eaton (P.I.), Jennifer Lock (Co-Investigator) and Meadow Schroeder (Co-Investigator) University of Calgary Teaching and Learning Grant $35,206.00 CAD
- Pre-service teachers at risk: Intervention strategies for and by teachers. Alberta Advisory Committee for Educational Studies (AACES) Grant). Amy Burns, PI; Sarah Elaine Eaton (Co-Investigator), Diane Gereluk and Katherine Mueller (Co-Investigators) $5,984 CAD
- Investigating academic integrity in the Werklund School of Education: Process, policy and perceptions. Werklund School of Education, Office of Teaching and Learning, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant. Sarah Elaine Eaton (P.I.) $10,000 CAD.
- Student Learning in Synchronous Online Classes. Werklund School of Education, Office of Teaching and Learning, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant. Barbara Brown, (P.I.), Sarah Elaine Eaton (Co-investigator) and Meadow Schroeder (Co-investigator) $10,000 CAD.
- Developing a Community-Based Bachelor of Education Program, Dr. Dianne Gereluk (P.I.), Dr. Roswita Dressler (Co-investigator) and Dr. S. Eaton (Co-investigator), SSHRC Insight Development Enhancement Grant, Werklund School of Education, University of Calgary. $2500 CAD
- Building a Robust Online Teacher Education Program - Dr. Dianne Gereluk (P.I.), Dr. Roswita Dressler (Co-investigator) and Dr. S. Eaton (Co-investigator), Werklund School of Education, Office of Teaching and Learning, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant. $10,000 CAD.
- Academic and research integrity
- Admissions fraud
- Artificial intelligence and GPT-3, as they relate to ethical teaching, learning, assessment, and academic integrity
- Contract cheating
- Educational administration and leadership
- Fake degrees and fraudulent credentials
- Fraud and corruption in higher education
- Higher education administration and leadership
- Research ethics and integrity
Participation in university strategic initiatives
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|EDER 602 LEC 02 02||Program & Practice Evaluation||2020|
|EDER 70308 LEC 03 03||Directed Study||2021|
|EDER 705 LEC 01 01||Doc Seminar in Educ Leadership||2020|
- Award for Exemplary Research, European Network for Academic Integrity (ENAI). 2022
- Research and Scholarship Award, Canadian Society for the Study of Higher Education (CSSHE). 2020
- Teaching Excellence Award, Werklund School of Education, University of Calgary. 2015
- Contract cheating in Iran: An overview of key issues and a call to action. Takrimi, A., Khojasteh Mehr, R., & Eaton, S. E. . Journal of Academic Ethics. (2022)
- Research-based learning in an online course-based Master of Education program. . Brown, B., Jacobsen, M., McDermott, M., Simmons, M., Eaton, S. E., Roberts, V., & Becker, S. . International Journal on Innovations in Online Education. 29-47. (2022)
- Academic integrity, STEM education, and COVID-19: A call to action. Turner, K. L., Adams, J. D., & Eaton, S. E. . Cultural Studies of Science Education. (2022)
- Academic integrity policy analysis of publicly-funded universities in Ontario, Canada: A focus on contract cheating. 3. Miron, J. B., McKenzie, A., Eaton, S. E., Stoesz, B. M., *Thacker, E., Devereaux, L., . . . Rowbotham, K. . Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy. 62-75. (2021)
- A scoping review of text-matching software used for student academic integrity in higher education. 4. Hayden, K. A., Eaton, S. E., Pethrick, H., Crossman, K., Lenart, B. A., & Penaluna, L. A.. Education Research International. (2021)
- Career development, academic integrity, and counterfeit credentials: Understanding the connections. Eaton, S.E.. Career Planning and Adult Development Journal. 98-106. (2021)
- Academic integrity education across the Canadian higher education landscape. Miron, J., Eaton, S. E., McBreairty, L., & Baig, H.. Journal of Academic Ethics. 441-454. (2021)
- Contract Cheating in Higher Education Global Perspectives on Theory, Practice, and Policy (Eaton et al., eds.). Palgrave MacMillan. 318. (2022)
- Academic Integrity in Canada: An Enduring and Essential Challenge (Eaton & Christensen Hughes, eds.). Springer. 599. (2022)
- Plagiarism in higher education: Tackling tough topics in academic integrity. Sarah Elaine Eaton. ABC Clio (an imprint of Libraries Unlimited). 231. (2021)
- “Growing our own teachers”: Rural individuals becoming certified teachers.. Dianne T Gereluk; Dianne T Gereluk; Sarah Elaine Eaton; Roswita Aleida Helene Dressler; Michael Corbett; Sandra Becker. Springer. 137-154. (2020)
- Multilingual essay mills: The need for research beyond English language commercial providers. . Sarah Elaine Eaton; Tracy Bretag; Roswita Aleida Helene Dressler. Edward Elgar Publishing. 152-162. (2020)
- Women negotiating life in the academy: A Canadian perspective. Amy Marie Burns; Sarah Elaine Eaton. Springer. 203. (2020)
- Preface: Insights into Women Negotiating Life in the Academy—A Canadian Perspective. Amy Marie Burns; Sarah Elaine Eaton. Springer. v-viii. (2020)
- Challenging and critiquing notions of servant leadership: Lessons from my mother. Sarah Elaine Eaton. Springer. 15-23. (2020)
- Advancing the writing of academics: Stories from the writing group.. Sarah Elaine Eaton; Jennifer Vivian Lock; Roswita Aleida Helene Dressler; Yvonne Kjorlien; Erin Spring; Gregory Maurice Tweedie. Brill/Sense Publishers. 55-65. (2019)
- Overview of higher education in Canada. Sarah Elaine Eaton. Bloomsbury. (2019)
- The role of research and knowledge creation in in higher education (Canada). Sarah Elaine Eaton. Bloomsbury. (2019)
- The impact of technology on how instructors teach and how students learn. Sarah Elaine Eaton. Society for the Teaching of Psychology. 74-80. (2018)
- A Canadian online rural education teacher preparation program: Course design, student support and engagement. Dianne T Gereluk; Roswita Dressler Dr.; Sarah Elaine Eaton. Werklund School of Education Research & Publications. 1-15. (2019)
- Using agent-based modelling for EER experimental design: Preliminary validation based on student cheating behaviours. Laird Gayle; Robyn M Paul; Sarah Elaine Eaton; Robert W Brennan; Nelson Nancy. Canadian Engineering Education Association. 1-8. (2020)
- Engineering Integrity: Using text-matching software in a graduate level engineering course. Robin Yates; Laleh Behjat; R Paul; Milana Trifkovic; K Crossman; Sarah Eaton; Elise Fear. Canadian Symposium on Academic Integrity. (2019)
- Plagiarism: Moving from punitive to pro-active approaches. Benedict Kojo Otoo; Sarah Elaine Eaton; Melanie Guglielmin. Werklund School of Education, University of Calgary. 28-36. (2018)
- Signature pedagogies in online classes. Barbara Anna Brown; Meadow Schroeder; Sarah Elaine Eaton. Werklund School of Education, University of Calgary. 66-74. (2017)
- Designing Synchronous Online Interactions and Discussions. Barbara Anna Brown; Meadow Schroeder; Sarah Elaine Eaton. Werklund School of Education, University of Calgary. 51-60. (2016)
- Designing Synchronous Online Interactions and Discussions. Barbara Anna Brown; Sarah Elaine Eaton; Meadow Schroeder. Werklund School of Education, University of Calgary. 51-60. (2016)
- Signature pedagogies in online classes. Barbara Anna Brown; Meadow Schroeder; Sarah Elaine Eaton. Werklund School of Education, University of Calgary. 66-74. (2017)
Press and Media
Canadians can't bribe their way into university. Following the US College scandal, Jonathon Muma finds out if Canadians bribe their way in. pic.twitter.com/4V3HG8NiVr
— Breakfast Television & CityNews Calgary (@BTCityNewsCGY) March 14, 2019
Dr. Eaton is an experienced media guest. She has been featured by CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation); CTV; Global, City TV, as well as various print / web outlets and podcasts.
Eaton, S. E. (2020, July 5) Academic Misconduct during the Pandemic. Television interview with Jennifer Burke for CTV News Channel, Canada.
Eaton, S. E. (2020, March 3) Cheating scheme leaves 40 U of A students facing 'significant sanctions'/Interviewer: Television interview with Jason Halbauer. CTV News Edmonton & Calgary.
Eaton, S. E. (2019, October 11) Young Kids Targeted for Contract Cheating /Interviewer: J. Rocher. Bridge City News, Lethbridge, AB. Retrieved from: https://youtu.be/8focCRkImLc.
Eaton, S. E. Muma, J. (Reporter). (2019, March 13). Canadian parents can't bribe universities to accept kids. Television interview with Jon Muma for CityTV News. Canada: Rogers Media Inc. Retrieved from: https://twitter.com/BTCityNewsCGY/status/1106015349596577793.
Eaton, S. E. (2020, March 3) Cheating allegations at the U of A -- among computing science student/Interviewer: M. Cummings. CBC News, Edmonton AM. https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-17-edmonton-am/clip/15764006-cheating-at-the-u-of-a
Eaton, S. E. (2020, February 7) Exam cheating in Newfoundland/Interviewer: B. Hillier. CBC Newfoundland Morning. https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-210-cbc-newfoundland-morning
Eaton, S. E. (2019, September 9) Academic Integrity: The Cheating Epidemic/Interviewer: M. Smyth. Lynda Steele Show, Global News Radio: 980 CKNW, Vancouver.
Calgary Eyeopener: CBC Radio. (2017, October 18). The problem of contract cheating. http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/calgary-eyeopener/segment/14438512 (Interviewed by host, David Gray.)
Eaton, S.E. (2012, May 18). Language learning for lifelong fulfillment and joy. Your Life, Unlimited, CJOB 68, Winnipeg, MB: Interviewed by Stephanie Staples, host.
Print / web media
Lai, L. (2020, April 17). Explore academic integrity and combat virtual cheating in online courses. UCalgary News. S. Eaton, interviewed. Retrieved from https://www.ucalgary.ca/news/explore-academic-integrity-and-combat-virtual-cheating-online-courses
Antoneshyn, A. (2020, March 4). Cheating scheme leaves 40 U of A students facing 'significant sanctions'. CTV News (Edmonton). (Eaton, S.E., interviewed.) https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/cheating-scheme-leaves-40-u-of-a-students-facing-significant-sanctions-1.4836954
Slark, C. (2020, February 5). Students had exam questions before writing it: BUSU president. Brandon Sun. Retrieved from https://www.brandonsun.com/local/Students-had-exam-questions-before-writing-it-BUSU-president-567576241.html (Eaton, S.E., interviewed).
Snow, J. (2019, October 9). Commercial contract cheating: How common is it? U Calgary News. Retrieved from https://news.ucalgary.ca/news/commercial-contract-cheating-how-common-it (Eaton, S.E., interviewed).
Student and Enrollment Services Staff. (2019, February 27). What is “pay to pass”?: Understand the issues around paying for academic support. UToday. Retrieved from https://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2019-02-27/what-pay-pass (Eaton, S.E., interviewed).
Werklund School of Education Staff. (2018, August 3). Quotation marks, crib notes, and contract cheating: How a new online tutorial is building awareness among online students at the Werklund School. UToday. Retrieved from https://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2018-08-03/quotation-marks-crib-notes-and-contract-cheating (Eaton, S.E., interviewed).
Sowa, J. (2018, March 16). Campus scholars warned about increasing problem posed by predatory journals and conferences. UToday. Retrieved from https://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2018-03-16/campus-scholars-warned-about-increasing-problem-posed-predatory-journals-and.
Ruddock, K. (2018, January 2). Digital repository improvements expand accessibility of research by UCalgary scholars. UToday. Retrieved from http://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2018-01-02/digital-repository-improvements-expand-accessibility-research-ucalgary-scholars (Eaton, S.E., interviewed).
Schellenberg, J. (2017, Nov. 8). University of Calgary looks to combat emerging academic black markets. Gauntlet. Retrieved from http://www.thegauntlet.ca/university-of-calgary-looks-to-combat-emerging-academic-black-markets/ (Eaton, S.E., interviewed).
Hunt, S. (2017, October 18). (Eaton, S.E., Interviewed.) Contract cheaters auction off homework to dark web ghostwriters. CBC News Calgary. Retrieved from http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/contract-cheating-international-day-of-action-contract-cheating-1.4360193
Rice, B. (2017, January 17). (Eaton, S.E., Interviewed.) When The White House Calls…. Retrieved from https://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2017-01-17/when-white-house-calls
C. Hunt (Producer). (2020, July 5). Episode: The Human Risk Podcast: Dr Sarah Eaton on Ethics In Academia.S. Eaton, interviewed. https://kite.link/sarah
S. Lawrence (Producer). (2020, April 30). Episode 141: Academic integrity: Do the right thing. S. Eaton, interviewed. https://www.theedpodcast.com/episodes/conversation-141-do-the-right-thing
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.