Dr. Joy Palacios
B.A. Comparative History of Ideas , University of Washington, 2001
Ph.D. Performance Studies, University of California, 2012
My research focuses on the way large organizations, such as churches and businesses, use performance and ritual to foster modes of devotion that generate authority, maintain institutions, and forge communities. Highly interdisciplinary in nature, my research consists of two streams, one historical and the other ethnographic.
In Ceremonial Splendor: Performing Priesthood in Early Modern France (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2022), I used archival methods and performance theory to study priestly training and liturgical practice in early modern France (1630-1730) to better understand how the Catholic Church sought to renew its authority by differentiating priests from actors, masses from plays, and the Church from the state. My next early modern projects explore “modesty” as a bodily experience, a mode of religious expression, and a strategy for encountering the unknown in New France, and the organizational structures developed by early modern religious communities.
Prompted by the observation that in a capitalist economy brand affiliation bears a resemblance to religious faith, my second stream of research examines the way big businesses use performance and ritual to help people connect to their mission. Supported by an Insight Development Grant from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, this project, entitled, “Business Ritualization: Religious Performance in Corporate North America,” uses ethnographic observation and interviews to examine how, when, and why North American corporations use rituals to coordinate the behavior of their employees and partners and bind people to the organization.
Participation in university strategic initiatives
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|RELS 205 LEC 01 01||Religion and the Good Life||2021|
|RELS 309 LEC 01 01||Religious Experience||2021|
|RELS 335 LEC 01 01||Ritual and Religion||2020|
- Joy Palacios. Performance, Religion, and Spirituality. Vol. 1, number 1, pages 43-65. (2017)
- Joy Palacios. Past and Present . Vol. 232, number 1, pages 127-163. (2016)
- Joy Palacios. Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies. Vol. 5, number 1, pages 1-19. (2009)
- Joy Palacios. Theatre Survey . 1-33. (2023)
- Joy Palacios. University of Pennsylvania Press. (2022)
- Joy Palacios. Performing Religion in Public: Acts of Faith in the Public Sphere, eds. Joshua Edelman, Claire Chambers, and Simon du Toit (New York: Palgrave Macmillan). 49-70. (2013)
- Joy Palacios. Critique du zèle: Fidélités et radicalités confessionnelles dans la modernité (France, XVIe – XVIIIe siècles), eds. Chrystel Bernat and Frédéric Gabriel (Paris: Éditions Beauchesne). 109-125. (2013)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.