Wayne John Irvine, BComm FCPA CPA CFA
Associate Professor (Teaching)
Haskayne School of Business, Accounting [ACCT]
Office: +1 (403) 220-7171
For media enquiries, contact
Senior Communications Strategist, Haskayne School of Business
B Comm ACCT, University of Calgary, 1980
Wayne is a senior instructor in the accounting area. He taught full time at the Haskayne School of Business from 1992-1995 and rejoined the faculty on a full time basis in January 2007. He was a part-time instructor from 1988-1992 and from 1995-2006. Wayne received his BComm from the University of Calgary in 1980 and obtained his Chartered Accountant (CA) designation in 1983, his FCPA/FCA in 2018 and became a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charter holder in 2004. Prior to his academic career Wayne worked for 12 years at Price Waterhouse in the audit group. As an audit senior manager, he also coordinated the Calgary’s office continuing education and UFE preparation program for several years and was extremely proud of the hard work that his colleagues put into their UFE preparation allowing PW Calgary to have a 100% pass rate on the UFE for four consecutive years. He also taught at Mount Royal University from 1995-2007 and was chair of their accounting area.
Wayne teaches in the area of financial accounting and auditing to our undergraduate and graduate students. He also instructs courses in executive education and has fostered our relationship with the accounting profession by spending more than 700 days over the past 20 years instructing candidates in the CASB/CPA PEP. It was this commitment to the profession that allowed him to receive his FCPA/FCA designation in 2018.
Wayne is currently the co-author of the most widely used introductory accounting textbook in Canada and has authored a number of cases for professional exams. In the past, he has received funding from the Chartered Accountants Education Foundation for developing a study guide for an auditing course at Athabasca University and for designing the computerized lab component for the intermediate financial accounting course at the University of Calgary. He has also received funding from the Royal Bank for the development of an Internet based accounting course and has co-authored the Canadian edition of a US accounting textbook.
Wayne has won over a dozen teaching awards from the University of Calgary Student's Union, Haskayne student clubs, the CPA Education Foundation, and from the CPA Western School of Business.
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|ACCT 343||Intermediate Financial Accounting II||Fall 2021|
|ACCT 443||Advanced Financial Accounting||Fall 2021|
|ACCT 643||Intermediate Financial Accounting II||Fall 2021|
|ACCT 644||Advanced Financial Accounting||Fall 2021|
|ACCT 343||Intermediate Financial Accounting II||Winter 2022|
|ACCT 443||Advanced Financial Accounting||Winter 2022|
|ACCT 643||Intermediate Financial Accounting II||Winter 2022|
|ACCT 644||Advanced Financial Accounting||Winter 2022|
- CPA, CA Fellow, CPA Alberta. 2018
- Superior Service Award - Haskayne School of Business, 2015
- CPA Volunteer Award, 2014
- Commerce Undergraduate Society Outstanding Teaching Award, 2012
- Chartered Accountants Education Foundation Teaching Excellence Award, 2011
- Student Union Teaching Excellence Hall of Fame Award, 2011
- Student Union Teaching Excellence Award, 2010
- CA School of Business Facilitator of the Year, 2009
- Chartered Accountant Distinguished Service Award, 2009
- Student Union Teaching Excellence Award, 2009
- Chartered Accountants Education Foundation Teaching Award, 2008
- Commerce Undergraduate Society Teaching Award, 2008
- Reporting and Analyzing Long-Lived Assets. Wayne John Irvine. Wiley. 462-521. (2019)
- A Further Look at Financial Statements. Wayne John Irvine. Wiley. 54-103. (2019)
- Reporting and Analyzing Inventory. Wayne John Irvine. Wiley. 300-357. (2019)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.