Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Faculty of Law
Manager, Marketing & Communications
BComm Finance, University of Alberta, 1992
LLB , University of Victoria, 1995
LLM , University of Calgary, 2004
Shaun joined the Faculty of Law in 2007. He was called to the Alberta bar in 1996, and remains an active member of the Law Society of Alberta. Shaun has appeared as counsel before all levels of Alberta courts, and the Supreme Court of Canada. Shaun works closely with the Faculty's Public Interest Law Clinic, and served as its Executive Director until January 2019. When he is not at the law school, Shaun enjoys skiing and climbing in the mountains west of Calgary with family and friends.
Areas of Research
Effective public participation is widely considered essential in the legitimate exercise of state power over resource development and environmental decision-making. My research examines legal frameworks which govern public participation. I also study procedural and substantive rules governing access to legal process, judicial review and access to information (transparency). Research methodologies include doctrinal analysis, comparative study, case study, qualitative assessment (interviews), and quantitative empirical work.
The Supreme Court of Canada has noted environmental protection is a fundamental value in Canadian society, but questions remain on how to implement substantive environmental norms into law. My research has focused primarily on the legal implementation of preservation norms such as ecological integrity in relation to endangered species and protected areas. Research methodologies include doctrinal analysis, comparative study, and case studies.
Shaun presented "Biodiversity Offsets 101: Case Studies and Best Practices for Alberta" for the Alberta Land Institute and the Miistakis Institute. Watch the video.
I engage in public interest litigation with the Faculty’s Public Interest Law Clinic. The Clinic takes cases with the potential to result in law reform to areas such as public participation, access to justice, and transparency. See here for more information on the Clinic. My general research interest is in this area involves examining the relationship between the courts and public policy.
- Palm, EC, Fluker, S, Nesbitt, HK, Jacob, AL, Hebblewhite, M.. Conservation Science and Practice. (2020)
- Fluker, Shaun, Paskey, Janice, and Balaton, Fiona. 32 Journal of Environmental Law and Practice. 243 – 272. (2019)
- Shaun Fluker. 32 Canadian Journal of Administrative Law and Practice. 81 – 110. (2019)
- Fluker, Shaun and Dalke, Eric. 55 Alberta Law Review. 805-838. (2018)
- Shaun Fluker. 52 Alberta Law Review. 567-603. (2015)
- Shaun Fluker. 29 Windsor Review of Legal and Social Issues. 89 - 123. (2010)
- Shaun Charles Fluker. in Alastair Lucas and William Tilleman, eds, Litigating Canada's Environment: Leading Canadian Environmental Cases By the Lawyers Involved. 191 - 214. (2017)
- Shaun Charles Fluker. University of Calgary Press. 131 - 141. (2019)
- Shaun Fluker. in Robert Boschman and Mario Trono, eds, Found in Alberta: Environmental Themes for the Anthropocene. (2014)
- Shaun Charles Fluker. (2019)
- Shaun Charles Fluker. (2018)
In the News
- Participation in AER decisions not guaranteed. Lethbridge Herald. (2021)
- Professors' research looks at water protection and use. UToday. (2021)
- Alberta test case: Planned sale of gas wells, pipelines raises cleanup concerns. CTV. (2019)