Roswita Dressler, PhD
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Werklund School of Education, Specialization, Language and Literacy
Ph.D. Education: Second Language Teaching, The University of Calgary, 2012
Master of Arts German, The University of Calgary, 2008
Bachelor of Education German, French, University of Alberta, 1989
Dr. Dressler holds an MA in German and a PhD in Education, specializing in second language teaching. Previously she worked as a K-12 second language teacher of German and French in Alberta, Manitoba and BC. Prior to joining the Werklund School of Education, she worked as a sessional instructor in German and Education.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Dr. Dressler works with professional and community organizations in the area of second language teaching. She is a lifetime member of the Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers and provides training to community ESL teachers through the Cooperative ESL Ministries group in Calgary. She holds membership in a number of other professional organizations.
Areas of Research
Dr. Dressler’s research focuses on second language teaching and learning in a variety of contexts. Her K-12 research looks at Canada’s bilingual programs in international languages and global competencies of teachers and students. Her higher education work examines the informal learning of students on study abroad.
- Bilingual/second language education
- Second language teaching and learning
- Teacher education
Participation in university strategic initiatives
- “Teachers Reflecting Upon Study Abroad Sojourns”
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (2020-22)
Dr. Roswita Dressler (PI), Dr. Colleen Kawalilak (Co-Investigator)
"Fostering Oral Language Development in German Bilingual Education" Dr. Roswita Dressler (PI), Dr. Katherine Mueller (Co-Investigator)
"Enduring Innovations in L2 Teacher Practice Resulting From the COVID-19 Pandemic" Contracted Research - Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers (CASLT) (2021-22) Dr. Roswita Dressler (PI)
- “Exploring Responses to Diversity: Pre-service Teacher Education in Germany, Canada and the USA” Dr. Roswita Dressler (PI), Dr. Drorit Lengyel & Dr. Barri Tinkler (Co-Investigators)
- Robert Roy Award, Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers. 2020
- German-Canadian Doctoral Dissertation Prize, 2013
- Joseph Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Doctoral Scholarship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. 2009
- Online Teaching Excellence Award , Werklund School of Education. 2021
- Dressler, R. & Mueller, K.. Canadian Modern Language Review, 77(4). (2021)
- Dressler, R., Crossman, K., Kawalilak, C. . Journal of Language, Identity and Education. . (2021)
- Ma, Y., Chen, Y., Guo, J., Lei, T., Li, Q., & Dressler, R.. Notos, 15(1). 27-42. (2021)
- Smith, C., Dressler, R., Holden, M., Berzins, J., Fiddler, J.. Canadian Journal for the Study of Adult Education, 33(1) . 85-91. (2021)
- Arthur, N., Becker, S., Dressler, R., Crossman, K., Kawalilak, C.. Teaching and Teacher Education, 89. 1-11. (2020)
- De Silva, N., Roy, S., Dressler, R., & Mueller, K.. Réflexions, 39(1) . 17-19. (2020)
- Dressler, R. & Mueller, K. . Réflexions, 39(2), . 15-17. (2020)
- Roswita Aleida Helene Dressler; Sandra Becker; Dianne T Gereluk; Sarah Elaine Eaton; Michael Corbett; Dianne T Gereluk. Springer. 137-154. (2020)
- Sarah Elaine Eaton; Roswita Dressler . Edward Elgar Publishing. 152-162. (2020)
- Roswita Dressler; Bernadette Raedler; Kristina Dimitorov; Anja Dressler; Garrett Krause. Global perspectives on project-based language learning, teaching, and assessment: Key approaches, technology tools, and frameworks.Routledge. 69-84. (2020)
- Roswita Dressler; Colleen Kawalilak; Janice McGregor; John Plews; Katherine Crossman; Sandra Becker. Designing second language study abroad research: Critical reflections on methods and data. . (2021)
In the News
- Werklund instructor, student discuss best ways to connect to home while travelling. (2016)