Roswita Dressler, PhD
Werklund School of Education, Specialization, Language and Literacy
Associate Dean - International
Werklund School of Education
Ph.D. Education: Second Language Teaching, The University of Calgary, 2012
Master of Arts German, The University of Calgary, 2008
Bachelor of Education German, French, University of Alberta, 1989
Dr. Dressler holds an MA in German and a PhD in Education, specializing in second language teaching. Previously she worked as a K-12 second language teacher of German and French in Alberta, Manitoba and BC. Prior to joining the Werklund School of Education, she worked as a sessional instructor in German and Education.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Dr. Dressler works with professional and community organizations in the area of second language teaching. She is a lifetime member of the Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers and provides training to community ESL teachers through the Cooperative ESL Ministries group in Calgary. She holds membership in a number of other professional organizations.
Areas of Research
Dr. Dressler’s research focuses on pre-service and in-service teacher understandings of second language teaching and learning. As teachers and future teachers in K-12 contexts explore what it means to be a second language teacher or teacher of multilingual students, they develop linguistic proficiency, sociolinguistic competency, and pedagogical content knowledge. Some ways in which they do so involve professional learning, engaging with technology or social media, or through study abroad. Using educational linguistics as a lens, my research engages with teachers and future teachers in those contexts.
- Bilingual/second language education
- Second language teaching and learning
- Teacher education
Participation in university strategic initiatives
Dressler & Scott (2023-25).“By Learners for learners: Level-appropriate children's literature for bilingual German primary education” Taylor Institute Innovation and Development Grant
Kaya, Dressler & Lenters (2023-25) “Conceptualizing teachers’ intercultural learning for social action”. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Insight Development Grant
Kaya, Dressler & Lenters (2022-23) “Critical literacy in action: supporting pre-service teachers to promote social justice and inclusion of Black Africans”. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Partnership Engage Grant
Dressler & Kawalilak (2020-22) “Teachers Reflecting Upon Study Abroad Sojourns”
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Insight Development Grant
- Teaching Award in Online and Blended Environments, University of Calgary. 2022
- Online Teaching Excellence Award , Werklund School of Education. 2021
- Robert Roy Award, Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers. 2020
- Dressler, R., Guida, R., Chu, M-W.. Canadian Modern Language Review.. 228-246. (2023)
- Dressler, R., Crossman, K., Kawalilak, C.. Study Abroad Research in Second Language Acquisition and International Education 7(2). 181-203. (2022)
- Dressler, R. & Mueller, K.. Canadian Modern Language Review, 77(4). 75-90. (2022)
- Kaya, J., Dressler, R., Lenters, K.,. Language and Literacy, 28(2). 25-61. (2022)
- Dressler, R., Crossman, K., Kawalilak, C. . Journal of Language, Identity and Education. . (2021)
- Ma, Y., Chen, Y., Guo, J., Lei, T., Li, Q., & Dressler, R.. Notos, 15(1). 27-42. (2021)
- Smith, C., Dressler, R., Holden, M., Berzins, J., Fiddler, J.. Canadian Journal for the Study of Adult Education, 33(1) . 85-91. (2021)
- Arthur, N., Becker, S., Dressler, R., Crossman, K., Kawalilak, C.. Teaching and Teacher Education, 89. 1-11. (2020)
- De Silva, N., Roy, S., Dressler, R., & Mueller, K.. Réflexions, 39(1) . 17-19. (2020)
- Dressler, R. & Mueller, K. . Réflexions, 39(2), . 15-17. (2020)
- Mueller, K., Dressler, R., Dressler, A., Moeller, F., Ronnellenfitsch, T. . Collaborative research in language education: Reciprocal benefits and challenges. 29-40. (2023)
- Dressler, R, & Kawalilak, C.. Language teachers studying abroad: Identities, emotions and disruptions. 100-110. (2022)
- Dressler, R., Kawalilak, C., Crossman, K., Becker, S. . Designing second language study abroad research: Critical reflections on methods and data . 273-286. (2022)
In the News
- Dr. Roswita Dressler, PURE supervisor, Werklund School of Education . Undergraduate Research Initiative (URI) Report 2021-22. (2023)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.