Dr. Rong Zhao
Haskayne School of Business, Accounting [ACCT]
Office: +1 (403) 220-2568
PhD Accounting (minor: Finance), University of Iowa,
M.S. Accounting, University of Texas at Dallas,
B.S. Accounting, Peking University,
Rong Zhao is an Associate Professor of Accounting at Haskayne School of Business. Her primary research interests are in the financial accounting area including limitations of financial reporting for new economy firms, analyst and management forecasts, and supply chain information. She won the prestigious Deloitte Foundation Dissertation Fellowship for her PhD thesis and is a recipient of SSHRC Insight Grant and several CPA Alberta research grants. She teaches financial accounting both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Since joining Haskayne, she has been nominated several times by students for teaching awards and received the MBA Society Outstanding Teaching and Learning Award in 2019. Prior to her academic career, she was a CPA licensed in Texas and worked as a tax accountant and business systems analyst at the RIA division of Thomson Reuters.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|ACCT 341 LEC 01 01||Intermediate Financial Acct I||2020|
|ACCT 341 LEC 02 02||Intermediate Financial Acct I||2020|
|ACCT 341 LEC 03 03||Intermediate Financial Acct I||2021|
|ACCT 641 LEC 01 01||Intermediate Fnce ACCT I||2021|
|ACCT 641 LEC 02 02||Intermediate Fnce ACCT I||2020|
|ACCT 641 LEC 03 03||Intermediate Fnce ACCT I||2021|
- SSHRC Insight Grants "Do Digital Technology Firms Generate Excess Profits?", Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council. 2022
- MBA Society Outstanding Teaching and Learning Award, Haskayne School of Business. 2019
- Do Digital Technology Firms Earn Excess Profits? Alternative Perspectives. Rajgopal, S., A. Srivastava, and R. Zhao. The Accounting Review. 2023.
- Profitability and Risk-return Comparison across Health Care Industries, Evidence from Publicly Traded Companies 2010–2019. G. Bai, S. Rajgopal, A. Srivastava, and R. Zhao. PLOS ONE. (2022)
- Mind the GAAP? . Govindarajan V., A. Srivastava, and R. Zhao. Harvard Business Review. (2021)
- Selective Disclosure and the Role of Form 8-K in the Post-Reg FD Era.. Gleason, C., Z. Ling, and R. Zhao. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting. (2020)
- Do Digital Technology Firms Earn Excess Profits?. Rajgopal, S., A. Srivastava, and R. Zhao. California Management Review. (2020)
- Management Sales Forecasts and Firm Market Power. Acito, A., D. Folsom, and R. Zhao. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance. (2021)
- Supply Chain Relational Capital and the Bullwhip Effect: An Empirical Analysis Using Financial Disclosures. Zhao, R., R. Mashruwala, S. Pandit, and J. Balakrishnan. International Journal of Operations & Production Management. (2019)
- Are Corporate Risk-Taking Practices Indicative of Aggressive Reporting Practices?. Frank, M. M, L. Lynch, S. Rego, and R. Zhao. Journal of the American Taxation Association. (2018)
- Director Tenure and Corporate Social Responsibility: The Tradeoff between Experience and Independence. Patro, S., L. Zhang, and R. Zhao. Journal of Business Research. (2018)
- Revenue Benchmark Beating and the Sector-Level Investor Pricing of Revenue and Earnings. R. Zhao. Accounting Horizons. (2017)
- Contrarian Share Price Reactions to Earnings Surprises. Johnson, B.J., and R. Zhao. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance. (2012)
In the News
- The conundrum of biopharma investing: low rewards and high risks — but a big social benefit. Stat (health-oriented news website). (2022)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.