Dr. Richa Pandey, Ph.D.
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Schulich School of Engineering, Department of Biomedical Engineering
Hotchkiss Brain Institute
Wearable and Bio-integrated Technologies Lab
For graduate supervision, collaboration, and industry partnership, please send an email.
Ph.D. Physical Electronics, Tel Aviv University, 2018
Dr. Richa Pandey did her Ph.D. in Physical Electronics at Tel Aviv University in Israel, where she developed wearable bio-sensor technology and received a prestigious Marie Skłodowska Curie Early Stage Researcher Fellowship. In Tel Aviv, she also devised a plant health monitoring sensor; placed on a leaf, the sensor can detect threats from pests and monitor water intake—a highly useful application in precision agriculture. Dr. Pandey’s postdoctoral work at McMaster University devised point-of-care (PoC) molecular diagnostic tests for infectious diseases, including a saliva test for COVID-19 and a test for urinary tract infections (UTI) that rapidly detects the presence of bacteria without the need to culture the sample. Her Ph.D. work launched a US-based start-up, and her postdoctoral research has been licensed to Canadian companies.
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|BMEN 388||Signals, Systems and Instrumentation I||Winter 2022|
|BMEN 585||Guest Lecture: Point of Care Diagnostics: Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering||Winter 2022|
|BMEN 600||Biomedical Engineering Foundations||Fall 2022|
- Marie Sklodowska Curie Fellowship , Marie Sklodowska Curie Association.
- Excellence Award , Marian Gertner Institute for Medical Nanosystems.
- Food Security Fellowship , Manna Center for Food Safety and Security.
Certainly, Dr. Pandey is keenly interested in helping students commercialize their research. At Schulich, she has established WeBiT, the Wearable and Bio-Integrated Technologies Laboratory with a vision to create disruptive technologies to engineer health solutions by using a multidisciplinary and translational approach. She invites students to join her in discovering new bio-integrated electronic systems that have the unique ability to interact with their environment and gather a wealth of molecular and biochemical data. Fundamentally, her research involves high-performance material development, device engineering, and biomolecule-electronics integration. The new technologies created during the research are leveraged to solve real-world problems of disease diagnosis and management (point of care diagnostics), military (biohazard and off-field personnel health monitoring), environment (water, soil, and air quality testing), personal care (wearables for mental health), and tissue engineering (Ex-vivo disease modeling, therapy development). In short, the technology Dr. Pandey develops can be used at every stage of a patient’s clinical process, from diagnosis through treatment. Dr. Pandey's lab is based at the Department of Biomedical Engineering- an interdisciplinary collection of faculties, engaged in advancing the quality of life of people at the University of Calgary. Please visit the lab's website for more information on projects.
- Pandey, R., Chan, D., Hoare,T., Li, Y-F., Soleymani, L. (2021) Integrating programmable DNAzymes with electrical readout for rapid and culture-free bacterial detection using a handheld platform. Nature Chemistry. IF- 21.6. Featured in Daily News UK, and Eureka Alert (AAAS).
- Pandey,R.,* Zhang,Z.,* Li, J.,* et.al., (2021) High affinity dimeric aptamers enable rapid electrochemical detection of wild-type and b.1.1.7 sars-cov-2 in unprocessed saliva. Angewandte Chemie (In press). IF- 12.9 *co-first authors
- Jangid. K., Sahu. R.P., Pandey. R., Chen. R., Zhitomirsky.I.,Puri. I.K. (2021) Multiwalled carbon nanotubes coated with nitrogen–sulfur co-doped activated carbon for detecting fenitrothion. ACS Appl. Nano Mater. 4 (5), 4781–4789.
- Saha. S., Allelein. S., Pandey. R., Medina-Perez. P., Kuhlmeier, D., Soleymani. L. (2021) Reverse concentration-to-signal electrochemical assay: a method for analyzing cancer-related microRNA embedded in extracellular vesicles. ACS Sensors (In press). IF- 7.1.
- Pandey.R.,* Lu,Y.,* Osman.E., Zhang,Z.,Smieja,M., Li, Y-F., Soleymani, L., Hoare,T. (2021). Rapid, culture free and wash free electrochemical quantification of the bacteria using magnetic microgel beads. Angewandte Chemie (Submitted), IF- 10.7 *co-first authors
- Victorious, A., Saha, S., Pandey, R, Soleymani, L. (2020). Enhancing the sensitivity of photoelectrochemical DNA biosensing using plasmonic DNA barcodes and differential signal readout. Angewandte Chemie. 60 (13), 7316-7322. IF- 12.9
- Traynor, S. M., Wang, G. A., Pandey, R., Li, F., & Soleymani, L. (2020). Dynamic bio‐barcode assay enables electrochemical detection of a cancer biomarker in undiluted human plasma: a sample‐in‐answer‐out approach. Angewandte Chemie. 59(50), 22617-22622. IF- 12.9, Featured in Advanced Science News and Diagnostic World News.
- Saha, S., Victorious, A., Pandey, R., Clifford, A., Zhitomirsky, I., & Soleymani, L. (2020). Differential photoelectrochemical biosensing using dna nanospacers to modulate electron transfer between metal and semiconductor nanoparticles. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 12(33), 36895-36905. IF- 8.7
- Hosseini, A., Pandey, R., Osman, E., Victorious, A., Li, F., Didar, T., & Soleymani, L. (2020). Roadmap to the bioanalytical testing of covid-19: from sample collection to disease surveillance. ACS sensors. 5(11), 3328–3345. IF- 6.9
- Traynor, S. M., Pandey, R., Maclachlan, R., Hosseini, A., Didar, T. F., Li, F., & Soleymani, L. (2020). Recent advances in electrochemical detection of prostate specific antigen (PSA) in clinically-relevant samples. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 167(3), 037551. IF- 3.7
- Sakib, S., Pandey, R., Soleymani, L., & Zhitomirsky, I. (2020). Surface modification of TiO2 for photoelectrochemical DNA biosensors. Medical Devices & Sensors, 3(2), e10066.
- Pandey, R.*, Yadav, A.,* Liao, T. W., Zharinov, V. S., Hu, K. J., Vernieres, J., ... & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2020). A platinum–nickel bimetallic nanocluster ensemble-on-polyaniline nanofilm for enhanced electrocatalytic oxidation of dopamine. Nanoscale, 12(10), 6047-6056. IF- 6.9 *co-first authors
- Pandey, R.,* Victorious, A.,* Saha, S.,* Didar, T., & Soleymani, L. (2019). Affinity-based detection of biomolecules using photo-electrochemical readout. Frontiers in chemistry, 7, 617. IF- 3.9 *co-first authors
- Pandey, R., Teig-Sussholz, O., Schuster, S., Avni, A., & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2018). Integrated electrochemical Chip-on-Plant functional sensor for monitoring gene expression under stress. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 117, 493-500. IF- 10.7
- Pandey, R., Friedberg, S., Beggiato, M., Sverdlov, Y., Lishnevsky, K., Demarchi, D., & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2018). Highly conductive copper film on inkjet-printed porous silver seed for flexible electronics. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 165(5), D236. IF- 3.7
- Fiaschi, G., Cosentino, S., Pandey, R., Mirabella, S., Strano, V., Maiolo, L., ... & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2018). A novel gas-phase mono and bimetallic clusters decorated Zno nanorods electrochemical sensor for 4-aminophenol detection. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 811, 89-95. IF- 3.2
- Pandey, R., Jian, N., Inberg, A., Palmer, R. E., & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2017). Copper metallization of gold nanostructure activated polypyrrole by electroless deposition. Electrochimica Acta, 246, 1210-1216. IF- 6.2
- Beggiato, M., Pandey, R., Sverdlov, Y., Inberg, A., Demarchi, D., & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2017). Flexible electrochemical biochip array of patterned gold on silver inkjet printed polyimide. ECS Transactions, 77(11), 893.
- Pandey, R., Almog, R. O., Sverdlov, Y., & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2017). Self-aligned electrochemical fabrication of gold nanoparticle decorated polypyrrole electrode for alkaline phosphatase enzyme biosensing. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 164(4), B168. IF- 3.7
- Pandey, R., Yoetz-Kopelman, T., Freeman, A., & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2017). Modeling of suspended vs. immobilized whole-cell amperometric biosensors. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 238, 1248-1257. IF- 7.1
- Almog, R. O., Pandey, R., Sverdlov, Y., & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2015). Gold nanoparticle metallization of flexible Conducting Polymer Electrode. ECS Transactions, 66(19), 1.
- Pandey, R., Francis, A. P., Ramaprabhu, S., & Devasena, T. (2014). Graphene based electrochemical biosensor: extending the horizon of clinical diagnostics. Graphene, 2(1), 22-27.
- Ben-Yoav H., Ragones H., Pandey R., Fiaschi G., Shacham-Diamand Y. (2020) Electrodes for Cell Sensors Interfacing. In: Thouand G. (eds) Handbook of Cell Biosensors. Springer.
- Avni, A., Pandey, R., Teig-Sussholz, O., Schuster, S., & Shacham-Diamand, Y. (2018, August). Plant Based electro-mechanical Biosensor for Functional Precision Agriculure. In: In vitro cellular & developmental biology-plant. Springer.