Schulich School of Engineering, Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering
CNRL Engineering Complex: END204A
For media enquiries, contact
Media Relations and Communications Specialist
Please contact me to book an appointment
I'm looking for...
Dr. Lu’s group is always looking for motivated, talented master and PhD students. Diverse backgrounds are welcomed. Please send her your CV with research interests by email to inquire.
Dr. Lu’s group is always looking for motivated, talented researchers. Diverse backgrounds are welcomed. Please send her your CV with research interests by email to inquire.
PhD Analytical Chemistry, University of Alberta,
MSc Physical Chemistry , Wuhan University,
BSc Chemistry, Wuhan University,
Dr. Lu is currently an associate professor in the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering at the University of Calgary. Her research is focused on bioadhesion, colloid and interfacial chemistry, polymers, nanomaterials/nanotechnology and their applications in biomedical and industrial processes such as anti-fouling, oil sands process water treatment, greenhouse gases emission control, etc. She also has strong expertise in microfluidics, fuel cells and electrocatalysis obtained from her graduate studies. She did both her BSc and MSc in Chemistry at Wuhan University, China under the supervision of Prof. Juntao Lu and Prof. Lin Zhuang, and obtained her PhD in Analytical Chemistry at University of Alberta, under the supervision of Prof. Jed Harrison. After her PhD, she was trained as a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in Prof. Yang Liu’s group, the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering in Prof. Hongbo Zeng’s group at the University of Alberta. Dr. Lu has published one book chapter and over 50 papers in top journals such as Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Advanced Functional Materials, Water Research, Langmuir, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, Biomaterials, etc.
Areas of Research
Research focuses on using advanced analytical techniques including QCM-D, AFM, SFA, etc. to fundamentally understand interfacial and surface sciences.
- Surface and interfacial phenomena involved in SAGD produced water treatment
- Properties and behavior of colloidal particles at fluid interfaces
- Interfacial behaviour and surface chemistry of 2-D and 3-D metal organic framework (MOF) materials
- Molecular interaction mechanisms of membrane fouling
- Molecular interactions of contaminants of interest with surrounding natural environment
Research focuses on developing bioinspired nanocomposite materials and naturally derived polymer materials for environmental and energy applications.
- Nanocellulose based materials for CO2 capture
- Lignin based materials for oil/water separation
- Bioinspired nanocomposite materials for oil sands produced water and tailings treatment
- Chitosan based materials for wastewater treatment
- Chitosan and graphene composite as thin-film electrolyte
- Hydrogels and aerogels as antibacterial materials
Research focuses on developing nanomaterials and nanotechnology for environmental and energy applications.
- 2D and 3D MOF-based nanomaterials and composites for water and wastewater treatment
- Materials and technology for environmental sensing, detection and monitoring.
- Microfluidic and nanofluidic platforms
- CO2 conversion
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|ENCH 665||Wastewater Issues for the Oil and Gas Industry|
|ENCH 630||Electrochemical Engineering|
|ENCH 699||Special Projects|
|ENCH 423||Chemical Engineering Process Development|
|ENPE 423||Oil and Gas Engineering Process Development|
|ENER 400||Engineering Design and Economics|
|ENCH 551||Chemical Engineering Laboratory|
|ENCH 530||Electrochemical Engineering|
|ENEN 665||Wastewater Issues for the Oil and Gas Industry|
|ENCH 511||Capstone design group supervision|
|ENCH 531||Capstone design group supervision|
Dr. Lu’s multidisciplinary research program is aimed at: 1) understanding surface/interfacial science and using this knowledge to create new advanced functional materials to resolve challenges related to energy and environment processes, and 2) fundamental surface/interfacial interaction understanding of multi-component complex industrial systems. Dr. Lu’s innovative and unique approaches have allowed her to gain the knowledge and skills needed to manipulate interactions (hydrophobic force, hydrogen bonding, electrostatic, etc.) to create new materials and to optimize various industrial processes, which generate economic and environmental benefit to the industry and the public.
- Early Career Research Excellence Award, Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary. 2020
- Excellence in Oral Presentation, PDF Research Day, University of Alberta. 2011
- Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship, University of Alberta. 2009
- Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship, University of Alberta. 2008
- GSA Professional Development Grants, University of Alberta. 2008
- GSA Professional Development Grants, University of Alberta. 2007
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, University of Alberta. 2006
- Outstanding Graduate Students Scholarship, Wuhan University. 2003
- Outstanding Graduate Students Scholarship, Wuhan University. 2002
- Outstanding Graduate Students Scholarship, Wuhan University. 2001
- Excellent BSc Thesis, Wuhan University. 2001
- Outstanding Undergraduate Students Scholarship, Wuhan University. 2000
- Outstanding Undergraduate Students Scholarship, Wuhan University. 1999
- Outstanding Undergraduate Students Scholarship, Wuhan University. 1998
- Outstanding Undergraduate Students Scholarship, Wuhan University. 1997
- He X., Li Z., Li J., Mishra D., Ren Y., Gates I., Hu J., Lu Q.. Small. (2021)
- Zhang K., Pernitsky D., Jafari M., Lu Q.. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research. 1839. (2021)
- Liu X., He X. Yang B., Lai L., Chen N., Hu J., Lu Q.. Advanced Functional Materials. 2008187. (2021)
- Zhang L., Mishra D., Zhang K., Perdicakis B., Pernitsky D., Lu Q.. Water Research. 117202. (2021)
- Water Research. 116415. (2020)
- Li M., Sun H., Zhang H., Mohammed A., Liu Y., Lu Q.. Journal of Cleaner Production. 124235. (2020)
- Song P., Mao X., Ren Y., Hongbo Zeng H., Lu Q.. Langmuir. 2322. (2020)
- He X., Binks B., Hu, J., Gates I., Lu Q.. Langmuir. 810. (2021)
- Song P., Lu Q.. Separation and Purification Technology. 116454. (2020)
- Ye C., He X., Lu Q.. Cellulose. 2173. (2021)
- Wang Y., Lu Q.. Cellulose. 2173. (2020)
- Maan O., Song P., Chen N., & Lu Q.. (2019)
- Song P., Natale G., Wang J., Bond T., Hejazi H., Siegler H., Gates I., Lu Q.. Advanced Materials Interfaces. (2019)
- Maan O., Huang J., Zeng H., Lu Q.. Environmental Chemistry. 336. (2018)
- Lu Q., Huang J., Maan O., Liu Y., Zeng H.. Science of the Total Environment . 644. (2018)
- Lu Q., Oh D.X., Lee Y., Jho Y., Hwang D.S., Zeng H.. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 3944. (2013)
- Lu Q., Danner E., Waite J.H., Israelachvili J.N., Zeng H., Hwang D.S.. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 20120759. (2012)
- Lu Q., Hwang D.S., Liu Y., Zeng H.. Biomaterials. 1903. (2012)
- Lu Q., Wang J., Faghihnejad A., Zeng H., Liu Y.. Soft Matter. 9366. (2011)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.