Dr. Qian Liu, PhD, LLM, LLB
I'm looking for...
Asian Canadian lawyers and law students to share experiences in the legal profession and law school;
Chinese immigrants to share experience dealing with family/community/workplace disputes in Canada.
Ph.D. Law and Society, University of Victoria, 2020
Dr. Qian Liu's research has examined legal consciousness in Asian and Canadian societies, Chinese family relations, gender and sexualities in the Chinese context, and dispute resolution among Chinese immigrants. She has published several articles in leading law and society journals, such as Law & Society Review, Law & Policy, International Journal of Law in Context, among others.
Dr. Liu is currently working on a book manuscript on the legal consciousness of leftover women in China. Since June 2023, Dr. Liu has been conducting a research project on the legal consciousness of Chinese immigrants in Alberta and British Columbia (funded by the SSHRC Insight Development Grant) and another project on the experiences of Asian Canadian lawyers and law students (funded by Faculty of Arts EDIA Grant).
She is on the Asian Law and Society Association Board of Trustees and the Editorial Board of the Asian Journal of Law and Society.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|LWSO 201||Introduction to Legal Studies||Fall 2023/Winter 2024|
|LWSO 313||Research Methods in Law and Society||Fall 2023|
|LWSO 591||Integrative Seminar||Winter 2024|
Funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council 2023 Insight Development Grant (June 2023 to present).
Funded by UCalgary Faculty of Arts Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility Grant (June 2023 to present).
- 2019 Asian Law and Society Association Graduate Student Article Award (for the article “Legal Consciousness of the Leftover Woman: Law and Qing in Chinese Family Relations,” published in the Asian Journal of Law and Society.), Asian Law and Society Association . 2019
- Käte Hamburger Kolleg “Legal Unity & Pluralism” Digital Fellowship (6,400 EUR), The University of Münster, Germany. 2021
- International Development Research Centre Doctoral Research Award (C$ 16,547), International Development Research Centre of Canada. 2016
- University of Victoria Doctoral Fellowship (C$54,000), University of Victoria. 2014
- Qian Liu. Law & Society Review. (2023)
- Qian Liu. Law & Policy. (2023)
- Qian Liu. Journal of Law and Society. (2023)
- Angie Chau and Qian Liu. Feminist Media Studies. (2023)
- Qian Liu and Yucong Zhang. Asian Yearbook of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law. 3-31. (2023)
- Qian Liu. Jindal Global Law Review. 231-251. (2022)
- Qian Liu. International Journal of Law in Context . 284-300. (2021)
- Qian Liu. Asian Journal of Law and Society. 151-167. (2021)
- Qian Liu. China Law and Society Review. 88-118. (2020)
- Qian Liu. Asian Journal of Law and Society . 7-27. (2018)
- Feng Xu and Qian Liu. Victor V. Ramraj eds, Covid-19 in Asia: Law and Policy Contexts, Oxford University Press. 27-42. (2021)
- Qian Liu. Guoguang Wu, Yuan Feng & Helen Lansdowne eds, Gender Dynamics, Feminist Activism and Social Transformation in China, Routledge. 166-184. (2019)
- Qian Liu. BarTalk’s special issue on Human Sexuality and the Law. (2020)
- Qian Liu. The Journal of Asian Studies. 590-591. (2022)
- Qian Liu. Asian Journal of Women's Studies. 471-474. (2015)
In the News
- Chinese Women’s Egg Freezing. BBC World News. (2017)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.