Dr. Prism Schneider, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Cumming School of Medicine, Department of Surgery
Cumming School of Medicine, Department of Community Health Sciences
McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health
Dr. Prism Schneider is an Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon and Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Community Health Sciences at the University of Calgary. She also holds the positions of Orthopaedic Trauma Research Lead and Resident and Fellow Research Director for Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Schneider spends 50% of her time as a traumatologist at the Foothills Medical Centre Level 1 trauma centre and the other 50% of her time is devoted to her research endeavours. She obtained her MD from the University of Calgary and has completed post-graduate training including a PhD in Biomechanics and two Orthopaedic Trauma Fellowships, one at the University of Texas and one at McGill University.
Areas of Research
Dr. Schneider’s research interests involve understanding the cellular and systemic inflammatory response to injury, including trauma-induced coagulopathy and post-traumatic joint contractures, clinical trials for optimizing surgical outcomes, and using advanced imaging to study the micro-architecture of fracture healing. She also has a particular interest in identifying and assisting patients who are injured due to violence in the home. Dr. Schneider has completed several multi-centre randomized controlled trials in collaboration with the Canadian Orthopaedic Trauma Society, in order to define surgical indications following injury and to determine the optimal surgical techniques to help improve patient outcomes. Dr. Schneider’s trauma-induced coagulopathy research program is funded by the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation, the Canadian Institutes for Health Research, and the Canadian Foundation for Innovation. She is an emerging leader in injury-related coagulopathy and her program aims to use a precision medicine approach to prevention of venous thromboembolism.
- You D, Maarouf N, Hildebrand K, Soo A, Schneider P. OTA International. (2022)
- Madden K, Sprague S, Petrisor B, Schneider PS, Kleinlugtenbelt YV, Hackenberg EAM, Garcia-Sanchez Y, Hall JA, Bzovsky S, Thabane L, Bhandari M, PRAISE-2 Investigators. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. (2022)
- Kitzen J, Paulson K, Korley R, Duffy P, Martin CR, Schneider PS. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. (2022)
- Wong M, Wiens C, LaMothe J, Edwards WB, Schneider PS. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. (2021)
- You D, Krzyzaniak H, Viner B, Yamaura L, Kendal JK, Monument MJ, Schneider PS. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 1182-1191. (2021)
- Schneider PS, Johal H, Befus AD, Salo PT, Hart DA, Hildebrand KA. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. e20.00057. (2021)
- You D, Skeith L, Korley R, Cantle P, Lee A, McBeth P, McDonald B, Buckley R, Duffy P, Martin R, Soo A, Schneider PS . Canadian Journal of Surgery. E324–E329. (2021)
- Spanswick P, Whittier D, Kwong C, Korley R, Boyd S, Schneider PS. Bone Reports. 100748. (2021)
- Guyatt P, Sprague S, Scott T, Heels-Ansdell D, McKay P, Tikasz D, Schneider PS, Schemitsch EH, Sietsema DL, Bhandari M . CMAJ Open. E731-E736. (2020)
- MacDonald DRW, Neilly D, Schneider PS, Bzovsky S, Sprague S, Axelrod D, Poolman RW, Frihagen F, Bhandari M, Swiontkowski M, Schemitsch EH, Stevenson I; FAITH Investigators; HEALTH Investigators. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. S70-S75. (2020)