Dr. Miwa A. Takeuchi
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Werklund School of Education
Doctor of Philosophy , University of Toronto, 2012
M.A. , University of Toronto, 2007
B.S. , Hokkaido University, 2004
Dr. Miwa Aoki Takeuchi completed her PhD at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto. Previously, she worked as a research fellow with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. Dr. Takeuchi is part of the Educational Studies in Learning Sciences, Werklund School of Education at the University of Calgary. At the graduate education level, she teaches specialization courses in the Learning Sciences and Mathematics Education and research methodology courses (including Ethnographic Research Approach). At the undergraduate education level, she teaches STEM education, Early Childhood Education Specialization, and Diversity in Learning.
I am currently on the Board of Directors at the International Society of the Learning Sciences and President of the Network of the Learning Sciences in Canada. I believe in fostering dynamic and porous communities that center equity and justice.
Areas of Research
Dr. Miwa Aoki Takeuchi's research projects are centered around equity and social justice in mathematics and STEM education. Working collaboratively with learners, teachers, community activists, and "families", I aim to co-design the learning environments that can leverage learners' embodied and emplaced disciplinary experiences into transdisciplinary imagination toward social and environmental justice.
To challenge the deficit perspectives imposed on historically marginalized learners, my research team and I employ and mobilize various research tools and public communication medium including arts to carefully listen to these learners' silenced voices to shine light on traditionally subjugated and hidden ways of knowing.
I value and deeply appreciate my collaboration with student colleagues, community partners, and academic partners with diverse disciplinary expertise toward our shared visions for social, food, and environmental justice.
- Sociocultural and geopolitical perspectives on learning
- STEM pedagogy and design toward justice (environmental, food, and social justice)
- Equity and justice in mathematics education
- Language, arts, and society
- Critical childhood studies
- Discourse analysis
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|EDER 77905||Introduction to the Learning Sciences (Graduate)|
|EDER 70124||Ethnographic Research Approaches (Graduate)|
|EDUC 427||STEM Education (Teacher Education)|
|EDUC 450||Diversity in Learning (Teacher Education)|
|EDUC 460||Early Childhood Education (Teacher Education)|
Learning with the Land and Understanding the Soil Toward Refugee Integration and Diversity (SSHRC Partnership Development Grant, 2022-current, PI)
- This project is in partnership with our community partners (Biogeoscience Institute/University of Calgary, CCIS, Mount Royal University, TELUS Spark Science Center, The Immigrant Education Society, YYC Growers and Distributors) and has developed around our common vision: 1) to design and study land-based learning opportunities for refugee children and youth, 2) to deepen teacher candidates’ understanding of the soil, ecosystem and biodiversity, and 3) to advocate for socio-environmental justice and (bio)diversity on a public regenerative farm together with children and youth.
Envisioning inclusive mathematics education with digital illustrated stories (SSHRC Insight Grant, 2020-current, PI)
- This project will demonstrate how digital illustrated stories can unveil traditionally unseen mathematics knowledge and history and how these stories can serve as a catalyst to envision open and inclusive spaces and practices in mathematics education.
Mobilizing Immigrant and Refugee Families' Funds of Knowledge Toward Food/Environmental Justice (sponsored by the STEM equity and diversity grant, 2019-current, PI)
- This study shines a light on intergenerational knowledge of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) exhibited by immigrant and refugee families in the context of community gardening and urban farming and toward food/environmental justice.
- Invited Visiting Scholar , Rikkyo University, Tokyo, Japan . 2022
- International Society of the Learning Sciences Early Career Award , International Society of the Learning Sciences. 2021
- University of Calgary Teaching Award (Associate Professor), University of Calgary. 2021
- University of Calgary Students' Union Teaching Excellence Award, Students' Union University of Calgary. 2021
- Werklund Teaching Excellence Award, Werklund School of Education University of Calgary. 2020
- Research Fellowship , Japan Society for the Promotion of Science . 2014
- Mary Stager Graduate Student Award , OISE/University of Toronto . 2012
- Government of Canada Award , Canadian Government . 2007
- Takeuchi, M.A. & Marin, A. . Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Education.. (2022)
- Takeuchi, M.A. Cognition and Instruction. 85-112. (2021)
- Takeuchi, M.A. & Aquino Ishihara, V. . Journal of the Learning Sciences. 103-124. (2021)
- Takeuchi, M.A., Elhowari, R., & Yuen, J. . In D. Kollosche (Ed.), Exploring new ways to connect: Proceedings of the Eleventh International Mathematics Education and Society Conference . 235-238. (2021)
- Takeuchi, M.A., Sengupta, P., Shanahan, M-C., Adams, J.D., & Hachem, M. Studies in Science Education. (2020)
- Takeuchi, M.A. & Dadkhahfard, S. In P. Sengupta., M-C. Shanahan., & B. Kim (Eds.). Critical, transdisciplinary and embodied approaches in STEM education. New York, NY: Springer. 199-216. (2019)
- Takeuchi, M. A. Educational Studies in Mathematics. 97 (1), 39-53. (2018)
- Takeuchi, M. A. Journal of the Learning Sciences. 25 (3),411-437. (2016)
In the News
Research Grants (External):
- 2022-ongoing Partnership Development Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (PI)
- 2020-ongoing Insight Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (PI)
- 2017-2019 Research Partnership Program, Alberta Education (Co-PI)
- 2017-2018 Research Partnership Program, Alberta Education (Co-PI)
- 2015-2018 Insight Development Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (PI)
- 2012-2014 Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (PI)