Dr. Michelle Drefs, PhD, R Psych
Werklund School of Education, Specialization, School and Applied Child Psychology
I'm looking for...
Our team is looking for research partners and students interested in studying intergenerational practices.
Doctor of Philosophy Human Development and Learning, University of Calgary,
M.Sc. School Psychology, University of Calgary,
B.A. / B.Ed. Early Childhood Education Specialization, University of Lethbridge,
Dr. Michelle Drefs earned her PhD in Human Development and Learning and MSc in School Psychology from the University of Calgary. She also holds a specialization in Early Childhood Education from the University of Lethbridge. Michelle has 8 years of field experience as a school psychologist, serving as an Educational Consultant with Golden Hills School Division from 1999 to 2006. From 2006 to 2012, Dr. Drefs served the as the Academic Coordinator for the online MEd in School and Applied Child Psychology program and was instrumental in its initial development; and, she also served as the Director of Training for the School and Applied Child Psychology program from 2014-2020.
In addition to her background in school psychology, Michelle is an experienced educator with 6 years teaching experience at the kindergarten and elementary levels—with the majority of her teaching career working primarily with First Nation students. Dr. Drefs is a Registered Psychologist in Alberta.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Dr. Drefs is a member of the Standards Review Committee with the Canadian Psychological Association.
Areas of Research
- Early childhood education
- Intergenerational studies
- Interprofessional practice
- Early mathematics development
- Spatial cognition
Dr. Drefs' research focuses on early childhood populations. Her research interests include: a) improving outcomes for early childhood and elderly populations through intergenerational programming, b) thanatology (i.e, the study of death, dying, and bereavement) with young children, and c) improving interdisciplinary practices. Her current research projects involve collaborations with professionals in the fields of education, social work, and medicine.
Prior to 2020, Dr. Drefs' primarily focused on early mathematics development, its assessment, and the role of spatial cognition.
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|EDPS 663||School Psychology Practicum II||Winter 2021|
Examining the Scope of Intergenerational Programs involving Kindergarten Students (Alberta Advisory Committee for Educational Studies)
Evaluating and improving COVID-19 management practices in the kindergarten classroom (Alberta Education, Research Partnership Program)
Conformity in Diagnostic Decision-Making (SSHRC)
- 2018 University of Calgary GREAT Supervisor Award,
- Schroeder, M., Bird, S., Drefs, M. A., & Zwiers, M. L . In M. A. Suzie Bisson, C. Sinclair, & I. Djuraskovic (Eds.), Ethics in action: Personal reflections from Canadian psychologists.. (2021)
- Ghazwan, A., Beran, T., Drefs, M. A., & Oddone Paolucci, E. . Medical Education . (2021)
- Drefs, M. A., & Wilcox, G. . In B. J. Carducci (Editor-in-Chief) & A. Di Fabio, D. H. Saklofske, & C. Stough (Eds.), The Wiley encyclopedia of personality and individual differences, Vol. 3. John Wiley & Sons. (2020)
- Woolcott, G., Chamberlain, D., Hawes, Z., Drefs, M., Bruce, C. D., Davis, B., Francis, K., Hallowell, D., McGarvey, L., Moss, J., Mulligan, J., Okamoto, Y., Sinclair, N., & Whiteley, W.. Scientometrics. 2323-2347. (2020)
- Schroeder, M., Drefs, M. A., & Zwiers, M. . Canadian Journal of School Psychology. (2020)
- David, B., Towers, J., Chapman, O., Drefs, M., & Friesen, S. . SpringerLink. (2019)
- Davis, B., Towers, J., Karpe, R., Drefs, M., Chapman, O., & Friesen, S. . In A. Kajander, J. Holm, E. Chernoff (Eds.), Teaching and learning secondary school mathematics. advances in mathematics education. Springer, Cham. . 89-99. (2018)
- Francis, K., Bruce, C., Davis, B., Drefs, M., Hallowell, D., Hawes, Z., McGarvey, L., Moss, J., Mulligan, J., Okamoto, Y., Sinclair, N., Whiteley, W., & Woolcott, G.. (2017)
- Schroeder, M., Drefs, M. A., Cormier, D. . Canadian Psychology, 58. 218- 227. (2017)
- Bruce, C. D., Davis, B., Sinclair, N., McGarvey, L., Hallowell, D., Drefs, M., Francis, K., Hawes, Z., Moss, J., Mulligan, J., Okamoto, Y, Whiteley, W., & Woolcott, G. . Educational Studies in Mathematics, 95. 1-19. (2016)
- Drefs, M. A., Schroeder, M., Hiebert, B., Panayotidis, E. L., Kerr, J., & Winters, K.. Canadian Journal of School Psychology, 30(4). 288-303. (2015)
- Schroeder, M., Drefs, M. A., Cairns, S., & Donley, K.. Education & Law, 24(2). 79-94. (2015)
- Beran, T. N., Drefs, M., Kaba, A., Al Baz, N., & Al Harbi, N . Internet and Higher Education, 25. 63-69. (2015)
- Kubas, H. A., Schmid, A. D., Drefs, M. A., Poole, J. M., Holland, S., & Fiorello, C. . Learning Disabilities: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 20(1). 31-44. (2014)
- Davis, B., Drefs, M. A., & Francis, K. . In B. Davis & Spatial Reasoning Group (Eds.), Spatial reasoning in the early years: Assertions, speculations, and principles. New York: Routledge. 47-62. (2015)
- Davis, B. & Spatial Reasoning Group. New York: Routledge. (2015)
- Andrews, J., Drefs, M., Lupart, J., & Loreman, T. . In J. Andrews & J. Lupart (Eds.), Diversity education: Understanding and addressing student diversity in Canadian schools. Nelson.. 24-73. (2015)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.