Dr. Michael Nesbitt, PhD
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Faculty of Law
Manager, Marketing & Communications
SJD University of Toronto, 2013
LLM International Law, New York University School of Law, 2005
JD University of Ottawa, 2004
BA Commerce, Queen's University, 2001
Michael teaches and researches in the areas of criminal law, national security law, and international organizations and human rights. He engages regularly with the media on his areas of research, including writing comments for the Globe & Mail and the National Post, providing TV and radio interviews for the CBC, CTV, and other local, national and international broadcasters, and interviews with local and national newspapers and legal publications. Before joining the Faculty of Law in July 2015 he practiced law and worked on Middle East policy, human rights, international sanctions and terrorism for Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs. Previously, he completed his articles and worked for Canada's Department of Justice, where his focus was criminal law. Michael has also worked internationally for the United Nations' International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in the Appeals Chamber.
While completing his doctorate Michael was a SSHRC Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Scholar, executive editorial assistant to the University of Toronto Law Journal, and taught in the legal research and writing program.
Michael researches primarily in the areas of criminal law, national security law, and international organizations and human rights law. His specific focus is on the legality and efficiency of the processes and procedures of bodies within or created by governments – such as commissions of inquiry or specific government departments – that are involved in the investigation, evaluation or criminalization of wrongdoing. His current projects include exploring the development, implementation, and execution of national security law and the relationships between the actors involved in these processes.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|LAW 410||Crime: Law & Procedure|
|LAW 644||National Security Law Lab|
|LAW 653||Directed Research|
- Michael Nesbitt. Criminal Law Quarterly. (2018)
- Nesbitt, Michael and Hagg, Dana. Alberta Law Review. (2019)
- Nesbitt, Michael and Oxoby, Robert J. and Potier, Meagan. UBC Law Review. (2019)
- Michael Nesbitt. Journal of International Law and International Relations (JILIR), Volume 13, No. 2. (2017)
- Michael Nesbitt. 18 German Law Journal No. 1. (2017)
- Michael Nesbitt. Canadian Human Rights Yearbook, No. 1. (2015)
- Michael Nesbitt. 4:2 Rights Review. (2010)
- Michael Nesbitt. 8 German Law Journal. (2007)
- Michael Nesbitt. 32 Queen's Law Journal. (2007)
- Philippe Kirsch Institute. (2017)
- Rocky Mountain Civil Liberties Association. (2016)
- Michael Nesbitt. Ottawa Faculty of Law Working Paper No. 2017-06. (2017)
In the News
- Terrorism peace bond placed on Ontario man for four years. Global News. (2021)
- Ontario man pleads guilty to trying to join ISIS, charges against wife to be dropped. Global News. (2021)
- Acquittal of Halifax man shows Canada’s economic sanctions are just ‘paper tigers,’ expert says. Global News. (2021)