Dr. Maureen Duffy
Faculty of Law
DCL McGill University Faculty of Law,
LL.M. McGill University Faculty of Law,
J.D., cum laude Loyola University Chicago School of Law,
B.S. Journalism, Univ of Ill- Urbana-Champaign,
Maureen Duffy is originally from the United States, where she was a litigator in Chicago, first in private practice with Rudnick & Wolfe (now DLA Piper), then as a specialist in the area of children's rights. She worked in both the trial and the appellate divisions of the Office of the Cook County Public Guardian, and later as an administrator/attorney for the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. Maureen has extensive trial and appellate experience. Before becoming an attorney (and to help pay for law school), Maureen worked as an editor and writer in the publishing field.
Maureen is a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen and pursued graduate studies in Canada. She holds a master's and a doctorate in law from McGill University, where she was awarded the O'Brien Fellowship for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism and a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Fellowship for her doctoral research. During her master's program at McGill, she was a researcher for the McGill Clinic for the Special Court for Sierra Leone. During her doctoral program, she participated, as a Junior Fellow with the McGill Centre for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism, in the Centre's invited filing of an Amicus Curiae pleading before the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, in the "Duch" case. The pleading was later published by the Criminal Law Forum. She also holds a Bachelor of Science degree in journalism from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and a Juris Doctor, Cum Laude, from Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
Maureen has been an Active Member of the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) Canada Section (former Vice-President, Prairie Provinces, former member of National Board).
Maureen has broad research interests, including interdisciplinary fields, a wide geographic range, and a number of fields within law. Her research interests span several national jurisdictions, including the U.S., Canada, the UK, and Australia, and they include constitutional law, immigration and refugee law, criminal law and procedure, and some aspects of national security law, as well as several areas of international law, including international criminal law, international human rights law, and international humanitarian law. She publishes primarily at the intersection of these various areas, currently in the context of migration, political narratives, and human rights. Her book, Detention of Terrorism Suspects: Political Discourse and Fragmented Practices, was published by Hart Publishing, an Imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing, and was the 2019 winner of the Hart-SLSA Prize for Early Career Academics in the United Kingdom.
Maureen was previously is a Global Faculty Fellow at Tecnológico de Monterrey, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, and a Visiting Scholar at Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|LAW 400 LEC 01 01||Constitutional Law||Fall 2022|
|LAW 536 LEC 01 01||International Criminal Law||Fall 2022|
|LAW 400 LEC 01 01||Constitutional Law||Winter 2023|
|LAW 569||Law & Literature||Winter 2023|
- Hart-SLSA Book Prize for Early Career Academics, Socio-Legal Studies Association. 2019
- Teaching Excellence Award , University of Calgary Students' Union. 2017
- Teaching Excellence Award, University of Calgary Students' Union. 2015
- Maureen Duffy. 5 Journal of Institutional Studies 2. (2019)
- Maureen Duffy. 66:1 Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly. 1-22. (2015)
- Maureen Duffy. Pace Int’l L. Rev. . (2010)
- Maureen Duffy. 20 Crim. L. Forum 331. (2009)
- Maureen Duffy. 40 Case W. Res. J. Int’l. L. 531. (2009)
- Maureen Duffy. Hart Publishing. (2018)
- Maureen Duffy. in Piotr Cap, ed, Handbook of Political Discourse. (2021)
- Maureen Duffy. in Canada and the Rule of Law: 150 Years after Confederation / Le Canada et la primauté du droit: 150 ans après la Confédération. (2017)
- Maureen Duffy. in Gonerko-Frej A., Sokol M., eds, Ideological Battlegrounds – Constructions of Us and Them before and after 9/11. Volume 2: Perspectives in Language . (2016)
- Maureen Duffy. International Society of Public Law (ICON-S) conference “Public Law, (Dis)Trust and Dissent". (2021)
- Maureen Duffy. 11th Annual Constitutional Law Colloquium. (2020)
- Maureen Duffy. 10th Annual Constitutional Law Colloquium. (2019)
- Maureen Duffy. Annual meeting of the Canadian Law and Society Association. (2019)
- Maureen Duffy. Annual conference of the Socio-Legal Studies Association. (2019)
- Maureen Duffy. Ninth Annual Loyola Constitutional Law Colloquium. (2018)
- Law and Society Association/Canadian Law and Society Association, Joint Conference. (2018)
- Amnesty International, Conference: LIVING TOGETHER: Understanding Human Rights, Appreciating Diversity and Working Towards Reconciliation. (2017)
- Maureen Duffy. Interdisciplinary Approaches To Security In The Changing World. (2015)
- Maureen Duffy. Law and Society Association Conference. (2015)
- Maureen Duffy. Supervisor: Professor René Provost.
- Maureen Duffy. Supervisor: The Honourable (then Professor) Patrick Healy.
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.