Maja Kucharczyk, MSc
BSc Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2012
MSc Geography, University of Calgary, 2017
The overall goal of my doctoral research program is to evaluate drone-based pre- and post-disaster mapping as a tool to support disaster management, particularly for assessing building damage.
My post-graduate career plans are to apply and continue advancing my geospatial skills in the context of conservation, climate change, and disaster management. I am eager to tackle disaster root causes, including issues such as poor disaster risk management, destruction of natural ecosystems, and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Esri Canada GIS Scholarship, Esri Canada. 2022
- Esri Young Scholar Award, Esri. 2022
- Dean’s Doctoral Scholarship, University of Calgary. 2021
- Professional Development Grant, Graduate Students’ Association, University of Calgary. 2020
- Student Delegate Award, CatIQ. 2019
- Alberta Innovates Graduate Student Scholarship, Alberta Innovates, Alberta Advanced Education. 2017
- Automated mapping of hurricane roof damage: An end-to-end Esri ArcGIS Pro workflow using deep learning and drone imagery. Esri ArcGIS StoryMaps. (2022)
- Disaster-mapping drones often neglect deadliest, costliest events and hardest-hit areas. The Conversation. (2021)
- Remote sensing of natural hazard-related disasters with small drones: Global trends, biases, and research opportunities. Remote Sensing of Environment. (2021)
- The weather’s effects on commercial drones may hinder their widespread use. The Conversation. (2021)
- Weather constraints on global drone flyability. Scientific Reports. (2021)
- Geographic Object-Based Image Analysis: A Primer and Future Directions. Remote Sensing. (2020)
- Pre-disaster mapping with drones: An urban case study in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences. (2019)
- 3-D stratigraphic mapping using a digital outcrop model derived from UAV images and structure-from-motion photogrammetry. Geosphere. (2018)
- UAV-LiDAR accuracy in vegetated terrain. Journal of Unmanned Vehicle Systems. (2018)
- Reported UAV incidents in Canada: analysis and potential solutions. Journal of Unmanned Vehicle Systems. (2017)
- Spatial accuracy of UAV-derived orthoimagery and topography: Comparing photogrammetric models processed with direct geo-referencing and ground control points. Geomatica. (2016)
- UAV-LiDAR and Structure from Motion Photogrammetry: Spatial Accuracy in Vegetated Terrain. The Vault: Electronic Theses and Dissertations. (2017)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.