Kristin M. von Ranson, Ph.D., R.Psych.
I'm looking for...
A.B. (honors) Psychology, Bryn Mawr College, 1988
Ph.D. Clinical Psychology/Clinical Science, University of Minnesota, 1998
Postdoctoral fellowship Pediatric Psychology/Adolescent Medicine, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, 2000
Areas of Research
I'm an expert in eating disorders and body image across the lifespan. I use a variety of research methods to examine risk and maintenance factors for eating disorders with the aim of reducing the burden of the spectrum of eating disturbances. My research involves child, adolescent, and adult patients and community members, as well as families. One of my primary research interests is helping to understand and bridge the gap between researchers' recommendations and practitioners' choice of psychotherapies. Another primary research interest is investigating similarities and differences between eating disorders and addictions, to elucidate the relationship between eating disorders and behavioural addictions. I am also interested in associations of eating problems with comorbid psychopathology, such as substance misuse, anxiety, depression, and childhood externalizing disorders, as a means to identify shared aetiological or maintenance factors. Other research projects focus on topics including personality, attentional biases, and the efficacy and effectiveness of specific psychological treatments for eating disorders.
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|PSYC 501.23 SEC 01 S01||Honours Topics Seminar Psych||Winter 2020|
|PSYC 504.66 LEC 09 09||Research in Psychology||Fall 2020-Winter 2021|
|PSYC 671 LEC 01 01||Adult Assessment||Fall 2021|
- Faculty of Graduate Studies My SupervisorSkills GREAT Supervisor Award, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Calgary. 2016
- Feminist Mentoring Award, Section of Women and Psychology, Canadian Psychological Association. 2016
- Nominee, Supervisory Excellence Award, Graduate Students’ Association, University of Calgary. 2016
- Fellow, Academy for Eating Disorders. 2005
- Huffman-Capraro Award (best abstract), North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 2000
- Conference Trainee Travel Award (best abstract), Eating Disorder Research Society. 1997
- Lacroix, E., & von Ranson, K. M.. Eating Behaviors. Article 101512. (2021)
- Sharif-Razi, M., Kim, H.S., von Ranson, K. M., Hodgins, D.C., McGrath, D.S., & Tavares, H.. Archives of Clinical Psychiatry. in press. (2022)
- Kim, H. S., Hodgins, D. C., Garcia, X., Ritchie, E. V., Musani, I., McGrath, D. S., & von Ranson, K. M.. Clinical Psychology Review. 102083. (2021)
- Alberga, A. S., Edache, I. Y., Sigal, R. J., von Ranson, K. M., Russell-Mayhew, S., Kenny, G. P., Doucette, S., Prud’homme, D., Hadjiyannakis, S., Cameron, J., & Goldfield, G. S. . Obesity Science & Practice. in press. (2022)
- Magel, C. A., & von Ranson, K. M. . International Journal of Eating Disorders. 821-830. (2021)
- Baraskewich, J., von Ranson, K. M., McCrimmon, A., & McMorris, C. A. . Autism: International Journal of Research and Practice. (2021)
In the News
- the Body Project. 660 News. (2018)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.