Katharina (Katha) Lahl, Ph.D.
Cumming School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Infectious Diseases
The Calvin, Phoebe and Joan Snyder Institute for Chronic Diseases, Immunology Research Group
PhD Natural Sciences, Technische Universitat Munich, 2009
Diploma in Biology Technische Universitat Munich, 2005
During my PhD work at the Technical University of Munich, I generated a transgenic mouse line that allows for the depletion of regulatory T cells. I could show that Tregs are critical to maintain systemic immunity in neonatal mice. During my postdoc I investigated intestinal dendritic cell subsets in mouse and man and contributed to studies interrogating the role of plasmacytoid DCs in the immune induction towards Rotavirus. In my independent laboratories in Sweden and Denmark, we continued to study barrier surface immunity towards viruses using Rotavirus and Respiratory Syncytial virus models. We defined DC subset specific requirements for migration and maturation, and found divergent functions for the subsets in response to viral triggers. We also studied the transcriptional regulation of dendritic cell subsets to better understand the drivers of their dichotomy in function.
The core interest of my lab lies in the recognition of viruses by the mucosal immune system. We focus on dendritic cells subset biology and function with an emphasis on IgA induction at the mucosal surface. My background in tolerance induction and mucosal immunology has given me a holistic view of the cellular players within the delicate ecosystem that maintains immune homeostasis. We hypothesize that early-life viral infections impact on the healthy establishment of barrier and systemic immunity and use enteric/respiratory infection and immunopathology models to interrogate the cellular basis of neonatal immune imprinting and its consequences for barrier health.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|-||Immune system Development (Technical University of Denmark)||Spring 2023|
|-||Mucosal Immunology (Technical University of Denmark)||Fall 2022|
|BIOR85||Cellular and Molecular Immunology (Lunds Universitet)||Spring 2020|
Swedish Research Council - Project Grant – 2023-2026
Danish Medical Research Council - Project Grant – 2022-2024
The Swedish Cancer Society - Project Grant – 2022-2024
Swedish Research Council - Virus Call – 2021-2023
- Vergani S, Muleta KG, Da Silva C, Doyle A, Kristiansen TA, Sodini S, Krausse N, Montano G, Kotarsky K, Nakawesi J, Åkerstrand H, Vanhee S, Gupta SL, Bryder D, Agace WW, Lahl K, Yuan J. Immunity. 1829-1842.e6. (2022)
- Dahlgren MW, Plumb AW, Niss K, Lahl K, Brunak S, Johansson-Lindbom B. Front Immunol. 932388. (2022)
- Muleta KG, Ulmert I, Hamza KH, van Dijl S, Nakawesi J, Lahl K. Front Immunol. 814491. (2022)
- Arabpour M, Lebrero-Fernandez C, Schön K, Strömberg A, Börjesson V, Lahl K, Ballegeer M, Saelens X, Angeletti D, Agace W, Lycke N. Mucosal Immunol. 745-761. (2022)
- Hamza KH, Dunér E, Ulmert I, Arias A, Sorobetea D, Lahl K. Sci Rep. 13485. (2021)
- Nakawesi J, Konjit GM, Dasoveanu DC, Johansson-Lindbom B, Lahl K. Eur J Immunol. 1143-1152. (2021)
- Nakawesi J, This S, Hütter J, Boucard-Jourdin M, Barateau V, Muleta KG, Gooday LJ, Thomsen KF, López AG, Ulmert I, Poncet D, Malissen B, Greenberg H, Thaunat O, Defrance T, Paidassi H, Lahl K. Mucosal Immunol. 53-67. (2021)
- Ulmert I, Henriques-Oliveira L, Pereira CF, Lahl K. Immunology. 303-313. (2020)
- Zhang B, Liu E, Gertie JA, Joseph J, Xu L, Pinker EY, Waizman DA, Catanzaro J, Hamza KH, Lahl K, Gowthaman U, Eisenbarth SC. Sci Immunol. (2020)
- Garcias López A, Bekiaris V, Müller Luda K, Hütter J, Ulmert I, Getachew Muleta K, Nakawesi J, Kotarsky K, Malissen B, O'Keeffe M, Holzmann B, Winston Agace W, Lahl K. Eur J Immunol. 1525-1536. (2020)
- Watchmaker PB, Lahl K, Lee M, Baumjohann D, Morton J, Kim SJ, Zeng R, Dent A, Ansel KM, Diamond B, Hadeiba H, Butcher EC. Nat Immunol. 98-108. (2014)
- Deal EM, Lahl K, Narváez CF, Butcher EC, Greenberg HB. J Clin Invest. 2464-2474. (2013)
- Lahl K, Loddenkemper C, Drouin C, Freyer J, Arnason J, Eberl G, Hamann A, Wagner H, Huehn J, Sparwasser T. J Exp Med. 57-63. (2007)
Department of Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine
Department of Health Technology, Faculty of Medicine
Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.