Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Faculty of Law
Office: MFH 4312
Manager, Marketing & Communications
LLM University of Cambridge, 2006
J.D. with distinction University of Western Ontario, 2004
B.A. Political Science, University of Calgary, 2000
Professor Jassmine Girgis joined the Faculty of Law at the University of Calgary in 2008. Prior to that, she was a member of the Faculty of Law at Western University. Before joining Western, she was awarded the Paul Martin Scholarship, a full scholarship to undertake her graduate work at the University of Cambridge, where she graduated in 2006. Prior to that, she was the Silver Medalist in her graduating year from Western Law (2004) and served as the Law Clerk to the Honourable Mr. Justice J. Edgar Sexton of the Federal Court of Appeal in 2005.
Professor Girgis is a member of the Law Society of Alberta. Prior to that, she was a member of the Law Society of Ontario.
Professor Jassmine Girgis researches and writes in the areas of director and officer liability, bankruptcy and restructuring law, and contract law. Her research primarily focuses on corporate restructuring and director and officer liability, and where they intersect. She also writes extensively on corporate rescue and its intersection with law and economics and with the public interest.
She has received numerous fellowships and grants for her work on director and officer liability and bankruptcy and insolvency. In 2019, she received both the Stikeman Elliott LLP’s Research Fellowship in Corporate Law and a grant from the Foundation for Legal Research for her work on the oppression remedy and fraudulent conveyances. In 2015, she received the Stikeman Elliott LLP Research Fellowship in Corporate Law, for which she undertook research on how to make the legal test for the oppression remedy more workable. In 2012, Jassmine received a grant from the Foundation for Legal Research for her work on the "Assessment of ‘Going Concern Value’ in a Corporate Restructuring." In 2010, Jassmine received the INSOL Scholar Fellowship in 2010 from INSOL International, to represent Canada and the United States, and undertook work on the status of employees as vulnerable creditors in bankruptcies. In 2007, she received a Second Annual Lloyd Houlden Research Fellowship from the Canadian Insolvency Foundation (CIF) to undertake research in the area of director and officer liability to creditors during insolvency.
Professor Girgis has served on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA), Alberta Branch, and as the representative for Canada and the United States in Course Committee, INSOL International Certificate in International Insolvency Law. She has served as an elected Outside Director to the Board of the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP), as the Academic Member of the editorial review board for the CAIRP publication, Rebuilding Success, and as a Director and Secretary on the Canadian Insolvency Foundation board of directors. She also served as the Book Review Editor for the Canadian Business Law Journal for six years.
Jassmine has been published in the McGill Law Journal, the Canadian Business Law Journal, the Canadian Bar Review, the International Insolvency Review, the Alberta Law Review, the Annual Review of Insolvency Law, and the Banking and Finance Law Review. She has been retained as an expert witness and she has been an academic commentator in Canadian Lawyer and Lawyers Weekly. Jassmine has presented her research across Canada and internationally.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|LAW 402 LEC 01 01||Contracts||2021-22|
|LAW 525 LEC 01 01||Bankruptcy & Restructuring Law||2022 W|
- Silver Medalist, University of Western Ontario. 2004
- Students Union Teaching Excellence Award for the Faculty of Law, 2010
- Right Honourable Paul Martin Sr Scholarship for graduate study at University of Cambridge, Canadian Institute for Advanced Legal Studies. 2006
- Chevening Scholarship, Chevening, British Foreign and Commonwealth Office. 2006
- Thomas GW Telfer. Annual Review of Insolvency Law. (2022)
- Annual Review of Insolvency Law. (2021)
- Jassmine Girgis. in Annual Review of Insolvency Law. (2020)
- 64 Canadian Business Law Journal. (2020)
- Jassmine Girgis. 96 Canadian Bar Review. (2019)
- Jassmine Girgis. International Insolvency Review. (2013)
- INSOL International Technical Paper 21. (2012)
- Jassmine Girgis. in Janis Sarra, ed., Annual Review of Insolvency Law. (2010)
- Jassmine Girgis. 49 Canadian Business Law Journal. (2010)
- Jassmine Girgis. 46 Alberta Law Review. (2009)
- Jassmine Girgis. 53 McGill Law Journal. (2008)
- Jassmine Girgis. 22 Banking and Finance Law Review. (2007)
- Jassmine Girgis. in Research Handbook on Corporate Restructuring. (2021)
- S.M. Waddams, J. Girgis, J.D. McCamus, J.W. Neyers, & M.A. Waldron. Edmond Montgomery. (2022)
- T. Telfer, S. Ben-Ishai, J. Girgis. Wall & Emerson, Inc.. (2019)
- Jassmine Girgis. Misrepresentation. (2008)
- National Judicial Institute. (2022)
- Annual Review of Insolvency Law. (2022)
- National Judicial Institute. (2021)
- 100 Years of Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law. (2021)
- Canadian Bar Association, Calgary Insolvency Law Chapter. (2020)
- 100 Years of Canadian Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law Conference. (2020)
- Annual Review of Insolvency Law. (2020)
- Canadian Bar Association, Business Law Section. (2019)
- Shareholder Remedies for the Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA). (2019)
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL) International Academics' Group 17th Colloquium. (2015)
- Canadian Bar Association, Insolvency & Business Law Chapters. (2019)
- Emerging Business Law Scholars. (2018)
- 41st Annual Commercial and Consumer Law Workshop. (2012)
- INSOL Academics Colloquium. (2012)
- Symposium on Insolvency and Financial Literacy, Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy. (2011)
- INSOL Europe Academic Forum. (2010)
- Canadian Law and Economics Association (CLEA). (2009)
- 38th Annual Commercial and Consumer Law Workshop. (2008)
- Canadian Insolvency Foundation, talks across Canada. (2008)
- Sulette Lombard, Christopher F Symes, Peter Walton, Annika Wolf, Irene L Fannon, Lynne Taylor, Michael Veder, Luuk Stoltenborgh, Aurelio Gurrea-Martinez, Andre Boraine, Jani van Wyk, Paul B Lewis. INSOL International. (2022)
- Akshaya Kamalnath. The Creditors Bargain Podcast. (2021)
- Harvard Law School Bankruptcy Roundtable. (2021)
- Oxford Business Law Blog. (2021)
- Insolvency Insider. (2021)
- Insolvency Insider. (2021)
- University of Toronto, Canadian Business Law Blog. (2018)
- Canadian College of Construction Lawyers’ Legal Update. (2019)
In the News
- Asher Place: limited partners and derivative actions. The Lawyer's Daily. (2021)
- “Oppression Remedy: The two-step BCE Test explained” Part I. Lawyers Daily. (2019)
- “Oppression Remedy: The two-step BCE Test explained” Part II. Lawyers Daily. (2019)
- Hall v Stewart: director tort liability and worker's compensation. Lawyer's Daily.
- Precision Drilling v Yangarra: duty of good faith in contracts. Lawyer's Daily.
- CCAA v BIA, re Target Corp. Canadian Lawyer.