Dr Janna Klostermann, PhD
I'm looking for...
Graduate and undergraduate students interested in cutting-edge sociological research focused on contemporary work/labour, care and caring, or gender equity.
PhD Sociology, Carleton University, 2021
MA Applied Linguistics and Discourse Studies, Carleton University, 2015
MA Pastoral Studies, Loyola University Chicago, 2011
BA Communication, Roberts Wesleyan College, 2007
Areas of Research
- Feminist sociology
- Care work, care theory
- Work and organizational relations
- Nursing homes (long-term residential care)
- Qualitative research methods (e.g., narrative, ethnography, arts-based methods)
- Storytelling and the arts
Participation in university strategic initiatives
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|SOCI 321||Sociology of Health and Ilness||Fall 2022|
|SOC 393||The Sociology of Work||Winter 2023|
|SOC 419.6||Topics in the Sociology of Health and Illness||Winter 2023|
- Governor General’s Gold Medal, 2021
- University Medal for Outstanding Graduate Work at the Doctoral Level, Carleton University. 2021
- SSHRC Insight Grant, ‘Strengthening Care Mobilization in Canada’s Social Welfare State’, co-investigator with PI Laura Funk, Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada. 2021
- SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, 'Imagining Equitable, Sustainable Care Relations in a Post-Covid-19 Canada,' Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada. 2021
- SSHRC Partnership Grant, Reimagining Care/Work Policies, co-investigator with PI Andrea Doucet, Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada. 2020
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada. 2016
- Klostermann, J. The Gerontologist. (2023)
- Braedley, S., Armstrong, P., & Klostermann, J. Care homes in a turbulent era: Do they have a future?. (2023)
- Klostermann, J. Unpaid work in nursing homes: Flexible boundaries. (2023)
- Armstrong, P., & Klostermann, J. Confronting the Global Care Crisis During COVID19: Past Problems, New Issues, and Pathways to Change. (2023)
- Doucet, A., & Klostermann, J. Sociological Research Online. (2023)
- Klostermann, J., & Funk, L. Ageing & Society. (2022)
- Klostermann, J., Funk, L., Symonds-Brown, H., Cherba, M., Ceci, C., Armstrong, P., & Pols, J. Societies. (2022)
- Klostermann, J., & Hurl, C. Interface. (2021)
- Klostermann, J., McAleese, S., Montgomery, L., & Rodimon, S. Canadian Review of Sociology. (2020)
- Hurl, C., & Klostermann, J. Studies in Social Justice. (2020)
- Klostermann, J. Women’s Health Advocacy: Rhetorical Ingenuity for the 21st Century. (2019)
In the News
- Fighting privatization and austerity in Ontario healthcare. The Leveller.
- 'Getting unstuck’: Women who care for others should feel OK stepping back. The Conversation.
- Long-term care workers face ethical questions in an unjust system. NOW Magazine.
- L’Arche International has a history of exploiting women. Toronto Star.
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.