Janet Elizabeth Groen, EdD
Werklund School of Education, Specialization, Adult Learning
Ed.D. Adult Education, University of Toronto, 2002
M.Ed. Adult Education, University of Toronto, 1991
B.Ed. Education, Queen's University, 1984
BEs. Geography, University of Waterloo, 1983
In 2002 Dr. Groen moved to Calgary with her family to begin her career at the University of Calgary. She has taught several courses in Adult Learning such as: Advanced Adult Learning Theory, Organizational Theory, Program Planning and Evaluation, Collaboratory of Practice: Adult Learning and Adults as Learners. In partnership with Dr Jackie Seidel, she is launching a new Graduate Certificate entitled Contemplative Ecological Education in summer 2022. https://werklund.ucalgary.ca/graduate-programs/contemplative-ecological-education
The Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education: https://www.casae-aceea.ca/
The Association for Contemplative Mind in Society: https://www.contemplativemind.org/programs/acmhe
Areas of Research
Dr. Groen’s research explores the link between spirituality and adult learning within various contexts such as the workplace, the university and in adult environmental education. She has also focused on transformational learning and learning opportunities for marginalized non-traditional adult learners.
- Adult/continuing education
- Adult Education and Comunity Development
- Adult Learning Processes
- Contemplative Pedagogy
- Environmental Education
- Spirituality of Adult Education
- Spirituality within Various Workplace Contexts
- Disenchantment to Enchantment: The Role of the Spiritual Retreat Centre in Adult Environment Education
- Providing Access to Transformational Learning for Non-Traditional Adult Learners: A Study of the Clemente Program as a Model for Lifelong Learning.
- Visiting Scholar, Faculty of Education, Canterbury Christ Church University, Canterbury, UK, 2014,
- Teaching Award for Full-Time Faculty (Associate Professor Level), University of Calgary, Calgary, AB., 2014,
- Colleen Kawalilak; Janet Elizabeth Groen. In T. Rocco, M. Smith, R. Mizzi, L. Merriweather & J. Hawley (Eds), 2020 Handbook of Adult and Continuing Education, Stylus.. 73-80. (2020)
- Janet Elizabeth Groen. In S. Brigham, R. McGray & K. Jubas (Eds.), Adult education and lifelong learning in Canada: Advancing a critical legacyThompson Educational Publishing . 148-157. (2020)
- Janet Elizabeth Groen; Colleen Kawalilak. Brill. (2020)
- Janet Elizabeth Groen; Sylvie Roy. ESREA. 1-6. (2018)
- Janet Elizabeth Groen. ESREA. 6-11. (2018)
Please refer to my CV for a full list of publications.
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.