Haskayne School of Business, Marketing [MKTG]
Office: +1 (403) 220-5577
For media enquiries, contact
Senior Communications Strategist, Haskayne School of Business
PhD Marketing (Minor in Statistics), Georgia Tech, USA, 1993
MBA Marketing, Atlanta University, USA, 1989
PGD Personnel Mgmt & Industrial Relations Xavier Institute, India, 1985
B. Com (Hons) Business, St. Xavier's College, Calcutta, India, 1983
Dr. James Agarwal is Full Professor of Marketing at the Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary, Canada. He received his PhD in Marketing (Minor in Statistics) from Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia USA. Previously, he held the Haskayne Research Professorship (2018-2021) and was CCAL Research Fellow (2013-2016), Research Director (2013-2015), and Area Chair (2002-2005) of Marketing at the Haskayne School of Business. He is listed in Canadian Who’s Who, University of Toronto Press and Marquis Who’s Who in America. In 2017, he received the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award from Marquis Who’s Who.
James has co-authored/edited three books: (1) ‘Research Methodology: Conjoint Analysis, Multidimensional Scaling & Related Techniques’ (Sage Publication, 2011); (2) ‘Emerging Issues in Global Marketing: A Shifting Paradigm’ (Springer, 2018); and (3) ‘Customer Relationship Marketing: Theoretical and Managerial Perspectives’ (World Scientific, 2021).
James enjoys teaching with passion and teaches at all three levels: Undergraduate, MBA, and PhD. He has taught Undergraduate, MBA/EMBA courses in International Marketing, Consumer Behavior, Marketing Research, Research Methodology, Relationship Marketing, and Strategic Marketing and PhD courses in Multivariate Statistical Analysis and Marketing Theory. He has been a Visiting Professor in Austria, Canada, India, Iran, Peru, Singapore, and USA.
James’s research interests are in the following broad areas: International Marketing, Consumer Psychology, Relationship Marketing, Ethical Issues in Marketing, and Statistical Methods. He has published over 70 papers in major refereed journals, proceedings, and book chapters including Advances in Consumer Research, Customer Needs and Solutions, Information Systems Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, International Marketing Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of World Business, Management International Review, Non-Profit Management & Leadership, Psychology & Marketing and several others. In addition, he has presented research papers in over 90 conferences in 20+ countries. He has co-edited 2 special issues of Journal of Business Research on (1) ‘Ethics and Morality in Customer-Brand Relationships’ & (2) Retailing and Emergent Technologies. He is ERB member of JIM & IMR.
James has received several best paper awards including: William R. Darden Best Paper Award in Research Methodology, Hans B. Thorelli Best Paper Award in International Marketing, Temple/AIB Best Paper Award (Finalist) in International Marketing granted by the Academy of International Business and two Best Paper Awards in Customer Relationship Management and Branding & Brand Management Tracks granted by the American Marketing Association. His Google Citation is 7400+ as of July 1, 2022. In 2005, James was listed in Most Prolific Scholars in International Business (IB) Research (Top 5 Percent) compiled by Cavusgil, Griffith, and Xu (2005), Michigan State University. He was also listed in Most Prolific Scholar in IB Research for articles published in International Marketing Review (Top 5 Percent) in 1996-2006 by Xu, Yalcinkaya, and Seggie (2008), published in Asia-Pacific Journal of Management.
James has received several other honors, awards, recognitions, and competitive research grants during his tenure. His research has been supported by several funding agencies including Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), National Center for Middle Market (Ohio State University), Kahanoff Foundation (Queens University), and Saskatchewan Health. In addition, he has received several internal research grants from the Haskayne School of Business (University of Calgary). He is a member of the American Marketing Association, Academy of International Business, and the Academy of Marketing Science.
Copies of most of James’ papers may be found in the University of Calgary Digital Repository at http://dspace.ucalgary.ca and searching under his name.
Areas of Research
Internationalization of Firms, Marketing Ambidexterity, Cross-Cultural Research, International Services Marketing, Political Risk, Emerging Economies, Globalization & Regionalization
Attitude and Affect, Customer Engagement, Services and Wait Time, Organizational Frontline Research, Branding, and Customer Relationship Marketing
Organizational & Stakeholder Ethical Theories, Ethical Climate, Consumer Privacy, Justice Theories, Ethics & Morality in Customer-Brand Relationship and Organizational Reputation
Applied Multivariate Statistical Methods, Conjoint Analysis, Structural Equation Modeling (SEM), Psychometric Theory & Measurement, Dynamic Factor Analysis, and Cross-Cultural Research Methodology
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|MGST 773 (PhD-Level Course)||Multivariate Statistical Analysis||Fall 2021|
|MKTG 667 (MBA-Level Course)||International Marketing||Fall 2021|
|MKTG 467 (UG-Level Course)||International Marketing||Fall 2021|
- Temple/AIB Best Paper Award Finalist, Academy of International Business . 2018
- Best Paper Award in Branding and Brand Management, American Marketing Association . 2015
- Best Paper Award in Customer Relationship Marketing, American Marketing Association. 2013
- Hans B. Thorelli Best Paper Award in International Marketing, American Marketing Association. 2004
- William R. Darden Best Paper Award in Research Methodology, Academy of Marketing Science. 2000
- Haskayne Research Professorship, Haskayne School of Business. 2018
- Albert Nelson Marquis ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’, Marquis Who's Who. 2017
- Listed in the Most Prolific Scholars in International Business (IB) Research, Michigan State University. 2005
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research Achievement (Honorable Mention), Haskayne School of Business. 2004
- Saskatchewan Wheat Pool Research Professorship Award, University of Regina. 2000
- Modeling a Country's Political Environment using Dynamic Factor Analysis (DFA): A New Methodology for IB Research. Vashchilko, Tatiana, James Agarwal, and Oleksiy Osiyevskyy. Journal of World Business. pp. 1-20. (2022)
- Social Selling Cues: The Dynamics of Posting Numbers Viewed and Bought on Customers’ Purchase Intentions. Das, Gopal, Mark T. Spence, James Agarwal. International Journal of Research in Marketing. pp. 994-1016. (2021)
- Does Ambidexterity in Marketing Pay-Off? The Contingent Role of Absorptive Capacity. Ho, Dixon H., Oleksiy Osiyevskyy, James Agarwal, and Sadat Reza. Journal of Business Research 110 (March). pp. 65-79. (2020)
- Does Brand Experience Translate into Brand Commitment? A Mediated-Moderation Model of Brand Passion and Perceived Brand Ethicality. Das, Gopal, James Agarwal, Naresh K. Malhotra, and Geetika Varshneya. Journal of Business Research 95(February). pp. 479-490. (2019)
- Reflections on the State-of-the-Art in Ethics and Morality in Customer-Brand Relationships: Directions for Future Research. Agarwal, James and Naresh K. Malhotra. Journal of Business Research, 95(February). pp. 392-400. (2019)
- I Love That Company: Look How Ethical, Prominent, and Efficacious It Is: A Triadic Organizational Reputation (TOR) Scale. Agarwal, James, Madelynn Stackhouse, and Oleksiy Osiyevskyy. Journal of Business Ethics. 153(3), pp. 889-910. (2018)
- Corporate Reputation Measurement: Alternative Factor Structures, Nomological Validity, and Organizational Outcomes. Agarwal, James, Osiyevskyy, Oleksiy, and Percy M. Feldman. Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 130, Issue 2. pp. 485-506. (2015)
- An Interdisciplinary Review of the Research in Conjoint Analysis: Recent Developments and Directions for Future Research. Agarwal, James, Wayne S. DeSarbo, Naresh K. Malhotra, and Vithala R. Rao. Customer Needs and Solutions, Volume 2, Issue 1. pp. 19-40. (2015)
- A Cross-National and Cross-Cultural Approach to Global Market Segmentation: An Application Using Consumers’ Perceived Service Quality. Agarwal, James, Naresh K. Malhotra, and Ruth N. Bolton. Journal of International Marketing, Volume 18, Issue 3, September. pp. 18-40. (2010)
- Ethical Climate in Government and Nonprofit Sectors: Public Policy Implications for Service Delivery. Agarwal, James, David C. Malloy, and Ken Rasmussen. Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 94, Issue 1, June. pp. 1-21. (Lead Article). (2010)
- An Integrated Model of Attitude and Affect: Theoretical Foundation and an Empirical Investigation. Agarwal, James and Naresh K. Malhotra. Journal of Business Research, Volume 58, Issue 4, April. pp. 483-493. (2005)
- Internet Users’ Information Privacy Concerns (IUIPC): The Construct, the Scale, and a Causal Model. Malhotra, Naresh K., Sung S. Kim, and James Agarwal. Information Systems Research, Vol. 15, Issue 4, December. pp. 336-355. (2004)
- Internationalization and Entry Modes: A Multi-Theoretical Framework and Research Propositions. Malhotra, Naresh K., James Agarwal, and Francis M. Ulgado. Journal of International Marketing, Vol. 11, Issue 4. pp. 1-31 (Lead Article). Winner of the Hans B. Thorelli Best Paper Award. (2003)
- Methodological Issues in Cross‐Cultural Marketing Research: A State‐of‐the‐Art Review. Malhotra, Naresh K., James Agarwal, and Mark Peterson. International Marketing Review. pp. 7-43. (1996)
- (1) Book: Customer Relationship Marketing: Theoretical and Managerial Perspectives. Malhotra, Naresh K. and James Agarwal. World Scientific Publishing, New Jersey, USA. 372 pages. (2021)
- (2) Book: Emerging Issues in Global Marketing: A Shifting Paradigm. Agarwal, James and Terry Wu. Springer International Publishing AG, Springer Nature, Switzerland. 374 pages. (2018)
- (3) Book: Research Methodology: Conjoint Analysis, Multidimensional Scaling & Related Techniques, in “Legends in Marketing”. Agarwal, James. Sage Publication Series Editor: Jagdish N. Sheth . 269 pages. (2011)
- Book Chapter: Key Research Trends and New Research Frontiers in International Business (IB) Scholarship: A Focus on the Asia-Pacific Region. Vaschilko, Tatiana and James Agarwal . International Business in the New Asia-Pacific: Strategies, Opportunities and Threats. pp. 297-333. (2022)
- Book Chapter: Does Country Really Matter? Exploring the Contextual Effect of Individual Self-Construal in Reaping the Relational Benefits of Customer-Based Reputation. Agarwal, James and Oleksiy Osiyevskyy . Global Aspects of Reputation and Strategic Management, Research in Global Strategic Management. pp. 95-125. (2019)
Google Scholar Citations
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.