Haskayne School of Business, Marketing [MKTG]
UCalgary Research Excellence Chair
Haskayne School of Business, Marketing [MKTG]
PhD Marketing (Minor in Statistics), Georgia Tech, USA, 1993
MBA Marketing, Atlanta University, USA, 1989
PGD Personnel Mgmt & Industrial Relations Xavier Institute, India, 1985
B. Com (Hons) Business, St. Xavier's College, Calcutta, India, 1983
Dr. James Agarwal is the inaugural UCalgary Research Excellence Chair (Tier 1) and Full Professor of Marketing at the Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary, Canada. He received his PhD in Marketing (Minor in Statistics) from Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia USA. Previously, he held the Haskayne Research Professorship (2018-2021) and was CCAL Research Fellow (2013-2016), Research Director (2013-2015), and Area Chair (2002-2005) of Marketing at the Haskayne School of Business. He is listed in Canadian Who’s Who, University of Toronto Press and Marquis Who’s Who in America. In 2017, he received the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award from Marquis Who’s Who.
James has co-authored/edited three books: (1) ‘Research Methodology: Conjoint Analysis, Multidimensional Scaling & Related Techniques’ (Sage Publication, 2011); (2) ‘Emerging Issues in Global Marketing: A Shifting Paradigm’ (Springer, 2018); and (3) ‘Customer Relationship Marketing: Theoretical and Managerial Perspectives’ (World Scientific, 2021).
James enjoys teaching with passion and teaches at all three levels: Undergraduate, MBA, and PhD. He has taught Undergraduate, MBA/EMBA courses in International Marketing, Consumer Behavior, Marketing Research, Research Methodology, Relationship Marketing, and Strategic Marketing and PhD courses in Multivariate Statistical Analysis and Marketing Theory. He has been a Visiting Professor in Austria, Canada, India, Iran, Peru, Singapore, and USA.
James’s research interests are in the following broad areas: International Marketing, Consumer Psychology, Relationship Marketing, Ethical Issues in Marketing, and Statistical Methods. He has published over 70 papers in major refereed journals, proceedings, and book chapters including the AMS Review, Customer Needs and Solutions, Information Systems Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, International Marketing Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of World Business, Management International Review, Non-Profit Management & Leadership, Psychology & Marketing and several others. In addition, he has presented research papers in over 95 conferences in 20+ countries. He has co-edited 2 special issues of Journal of Business Research on (1) ‘Ethics and Morality in Customer-Brand Relationships’ & (2) Retailing and Emergent Technologies. He is ERB member of JIM & IMR.
James has received several best paper awards including: William R. Darden Best Paper Award in Research Methodology, Hans B. Thorelli Best Paper Award in International Marketing, Temple/AIB Best Paper Award (Finalist) in International Marketing granted by the Academy of International Business and two Best Paper Awards in Customer Relationship Management and Branding & Brand Management Tracks granted by the American Marketing Association. His Google Citation is 8250+ as of July 1, 2023. In 2005, James was listed in Most Prolific Scholars in International Business (IB) Research (Top 5 Percent) compiled by Cavusgil, Griffith, and Xu (2005), Michigan State University. He was also listed in Most Prolific Scholar in IB Research for articles published in International Marketing Review (Top 5 Percent) in 1996-2006 by Xu, Yalcinkaya, and Seggie (2008), published in Asia-Pacific Journal of Management.
James has received several other honors, awards, recognitions, and competitive research grants during his tenure. His research has been supported by several funding agencies including Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), National Center for Middle Market (Ohio State University), Kahanoff Foundation (Queens University), and Saskatchewan Health. In addition, he has received several internal research grants from the Haskayne School of Business (University of Calgary). He is a member of the American Marketing Association, Academy of International Business, and the Academy of Marketing Science.
Copies of most of James’ papers may be found in the University of Calgary Digital Repository at http://dspace.ucalgary.ca and searching under his name.
Areas of Research
Internationalization of Firms, Marketing Ambidexterity, Cross-Cultural Research, International Services Marketing, Political Risk, Emerging Economies, Globalization & Regionalization
Attitude and Affect, Customer Engagement, Services and Wait Time, Organizational Frontline Research, Branding, and Customer Relationship Marketing
Organizational & Stakeholder Ethical Theories, Ethical Climate, Consumer Privacy, Justice Theories, Ethics & Morality in Customer-Brand Relationship and Organizational Reputation
Applied Multivariate Statistical Methods, Conjoint Analysis, Structural Equation Modeling (SEM), Psychometric Theory & Measurement, Dynamic Factor Analysis, and Cross-Cultural Research Methodology
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|MGST 773 (PhD-Level Course)||Multivariate Statistical Analysis||Fall 2023|
|MKTG 667 (MBA-Level Course)||International Marketing||Fall 2023|
|MKTG 467 (UG-Level Course)||International Marketing||Fall 2023|
- UCalgary Research Excellence Chair, University of Calgary. 2023
- Haskayne Research Professorship, Haskayne School of Business. 2018
- Temple/AIB Best Paper Award Finalist, Academy of International Business . 2018
- Albert Nelson Marquis ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’, Marquis Who's Who. 2017
- Best Paper Award in Branding and Brand Management, American Marketing Association . 2015
- Best Paper Award in Customer Relationship Marketing, American Marketing Association. 2013
- Listed in the Most Prolific Scholars in International Business (IB) Research, Michigan State University. 2005
- Hans B. Thorelli Best Paper Award in International Marketing, American Marketing Association. 2004
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research Achievement (Honorable Mention), Haskayne School of Business. 2004
- William R. Darden Best Paper Award in Research Methodology, Academy of Marketing Science. 2000
- Saskatchewan Wheat Pool Research Professorship Award, University of Regina. 2000
- Vashchilko, Tatiana, James Agarwal, and Oleksiy Osiyevskyy. Journal of World Business. pp. 1-20. (2022)
- Das, Gopal, Mark T. Spence, James Agarwal. International Journal of Research in Marketing. pp. 994-1016. (2021)
- Ho, Dixon H., Oleksiy Osiyevskyy, James Agarwal, and Sadat Reza. Journal of Business Research 110 (March). pp. 65-79. (2020)
- Das, Gopal, James Agarwal, Naresh K. Malhotra, and Geetika Varshneya. Journal of Business Research 95(February). pp. 479-490. (2019)
- Agarwal, James and Naresh K. Malhotra. Journal of Business Research, 95(February). pp. 392-400. (2019)
- Agarwal, James, Madelynn Stackhouse, and Oleksiy Osiyevskyy. Journal of Business Ethics. 153(3), pp. 889-910. (2018)
- Agarwal, James, Osiyevskyy, Oleksiy, and Percy M. Feldman. Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 130, Issue 2. pp. 485-506. (2015)
- Agarwal, James, Wayne S. DeSarbo, Naresh K. Malhotra, and Vithala R. Rao. Customer Needs and Solutions, Volume 2, Issue 1. pp. 19-40. (2015)
- Agarwal, James, Naresh K. Malhotra, and Ruth N. Bolton. Journal of International Marketing, Volume 18, Issue 3, September. pp. 18-40. (2010)
- Agarwal, James, David C. Malloy, and Ken Rasmussen. Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 94, Issue 1, June. pp. 1-21. (Lead Article). (2010)
- Agarwal, James and Naresh K. Malhotra. Journal of Business Research, Volume 58, Issue 4, April. pp. 483-493. (2005)
- Malhotra, Naresh K., Sung S. Kim, and James Agarwal. Information Systems Research, Vol. 15, Issue 4, December. pp. 336-355. (2004)
- Malhotra, Naresh K., James Agarwal, and Francis M. Ulgado. Journal of International Marketing, Vol. 11, Issue 4. pp. 1-31 (Lead Article). Winner of the Hans B. Thorelli Best Paper Award. (2003)
- Malhotra, Naresh K., James Agarwal, and Mark Peterson. International Marketing Review. pp. 7-43. (1996)
- Malhotra, Naresh K. and James Agarwal. World Scientific Publishing, New Jersey, USA. 372 pages. (2021)
- Agarwal, James and Terry Wu. Springer International Publishing AG, Springer Nature, Switzerland. 374 pages. (2018)
- Agarwal, James. Sage Publication Series Editor: Jagdish N. Sheth . 269 pages. (2011)
- Vaschilko, Tatiana and James Agarwal . International Business in the New Asia-Pacific: Strategies, Opportunities and Threats. pp. 297-333. (2022)
- Agarwal, James and Oleksiy Osiyevskyy . Global Aspects of Reputation and Strategic Management, Research in Global Strategic Management. pp. 95-125. (2019)
Google Scholar Citations
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.