Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Haskayne School of Business
Suncor Energy Chair
Haskayne School of Business
Senior Communications Strategist, Haskayne School of Business
Office: +1 (403) 220-7450
B.A. History, University of Toronto, 1975
Doctor of Philosophy Comm, Manag & Bus Admin, University of Western Ontario, 1986
M.B.A. Comm, Manag & Bus Admin, McMaster University, 1979
Dr. Vredenburg is a leading scholar in the areas of competitive strategy, innovation, sustainable development and corporate governance in the global energy and natural resource industries and serves as the Suncor Chair in Strategy and Sustainability. He was one of the visionaries who founded Haskayne’s Global Energy Executive MBA and served as its Academic Director from 2010 to 2018 . He also holds an appointment as an International Research Fellow at the Saïd Business School at Oxford University in the UK.
He has authored or coauthored more than 50 frequently cited articles in leading international publications including Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, MIT Sloan Management Review, Harvard Business Review, Energy Policy, Energies, Technovation, International Journal of Economics & Business Research and Global Business & Economics Review. He has also coauthored government reports on industry regulation, innovation and competitiveness and on nuclear energy and he consults to industry. According to Google Scholar, his publications have been cited more than 5,000 times.
A popular teacher, he lectures in MBA, Executive MBA, doctoral, executive development and corporate directors programs. He was recently honoured with the 2016-2017 Haskayne MBA Society Top MBA Teacher Award, based on a vote by MBA students. He was also voted 2015-2016 Haskayne MBA Society Top MBA Teacher.
He serves as a non-executive member of the boards of directors of several publicly-traded and private international energy companies.
- Fellow of the Institute for Sustainable Energy, Environment and Economy, U of C, 2011
- Board Member of Advisory Board, Latin American Research Centre (LARC), 2010
- Invited Expert Testimony on the proposed divestment by the Government of Canada of Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., 2010
- Invited Member, Editorial Board, Low Carbon Economy (LCE), a journal published by Scientific Research Publishing USA, 2010
- Paper co-written with H. Petersen was chosen as a Highly Commended Award Winner at the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2010. Presented at Academy of Management Annual Conference, Montreal, Quebec., 2010
- Peer Reviewer for the Expert Panel Report on the Environmental and Health Impacts of Canada's Oil Sands Industry, 2010
- International Research Fellow at Oxford University, Centre for Corporate Reputation, Said Business School, UK, 2009
- Fellow of the Latin American Research Centre, 2008
- ICD.D, Institute of Corporate Directors Certification, 2005
- Ranking in the 'Beyond Grey Pinstripes 2005' Report, 2005
- University of Calgary Internationalization Achievement Awards (UCIAA): Faculty Award, 2005
- Celebration of Excellence 2004, University of Calgary President's Ceremony, 2004