Gregory Hagen, PhD
Faculty of Law
Member (non practicing), Law Society of British Columbia,
PhD Philosophy of Science, University of Western Ontario,
LLM (Law & Technology), University of Ottawa,
LLB Dalhousie University,
M.A. Philosophy, British Columbia,
B.A. Philosophy, British Columbia,
Prior to joining the Faculty, Greg practiced in the areas of corporate, securities and technology law. Professor Hagen earned his Ph.D. in the philosophy of science at Western University, as well as a B.A. and M.A. at the University of British Columbia. He completed an LL.B. at Dalhousie University and an LL.M. at the University of Ottawa (with a concentration in law and technology). He served as Associate Dean (Research) and Graduate Program Director from 2014-2019. He has taught at the University of Ottawa, Western University, Duke University's Asia America Institute in Transnational Law at the University of Hong Kong, at the Summer Law Institute, held at Peking University, and he spent a sabbatical term at the Faculty of Law, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana.
Greg is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia.
Greg is currently mostly doing research in patent law and legal issues related to artificial intelligence, information security and privacy technologies.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|LAW 510||Ethical Lawyering||Fall 2023|
|LAW 703||Graduate Seminar in Legal Research & Methodology||Fall 2023|
|Law 543||Intellectual Property||Winter 2024|
|Law 579||Legal Theory: Artificial Intelligence||Winter 2024|
- Greg Hagen. 49:2 UBC L Rev. 377-426. (2016)
- Greg Hagen. 28:3 IPJ. (2016)
- Greg Hagen, Tania Bubela and Edna Einsiedel. Trends in Biotechnology (Volume 30, Issue 3). 132–137. (2012)
- Greg Hagen. Canadian Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 26, No. 1. (2010)
- Greg Hagen. SCRIPTed: A Journal of Law, Technology and Society, Volume 5, Issue 2. 515-552. (2008)
- Gregory Hagen, Cameron Hutchison, Tesh Dagner, Graham Reynolds, Teresa Scassa, & Margaret Ann Wilkinson (Eds.). Emond Montgomery Press. (2022)
- Greg Hagen. in Giuseppina D’Agostino, Aviv Gaon, & Carole Piovesan (Eds.), Leading Legal Disruptions: Artificial Intelligence and a Toolkit for Lawyers and the Law. (2021)
- Greg Hagen. in Florian Martin Bariteau & Teresa Scassa (Eds.) Artificial Intelligence and the Law in Canada. (2021)
- Greg Hagen. in Teresa Scassa, Mistrale Goudreau, Madelaine Saginur, Courtney Doagoo (Eds) Intellectual Property Law for the 21st Century: Interdisciplinary Approaches to IP. (2013)
- Greg Hagen. in Michael Geist (Ed), The Copyright Pentalogy. (2013)
- Greg Hagen. in Michael Geist (Ed) From Radical Extremism to Balanced Copyright. (2010)
- Forthcoming. (2023)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.