Dr. Derritt Mason, PhD
I'm looking for...
At the moment, I am only accepting inquiries from prospective graduate students who are interested in video game studies and children's/young adult literature.
Ph.D., English, University of Alberta, 2015
M.A., Cultural Studies and Critical Theory, McMaster University, 2006
B.A. (Hons), Information and Media Studies, University of Western Ontario, 2004
Primarily, I research and teach at the intersection of children's and young adult literature, queer theory, and media/cultural studies; I also have growing interest and expertise in video game studies and the scholarship of teaching and learning. I am the author of Queer Anxieties of Young Adult Literature and Culture (UP of Mississippi, 2021). With Kenneth B. Kidd, I co-edited Queer as Camp: Essays on Summer, Style, and Sexuality (Fordham UP, 2019), which won the Children's Literature Association Edited Book Award in 2021. Otherwise, my publications include essays on:
- Teaching close reading in the English classroom (Pedagogy 22.3)
- Queer representation in children's animation (Queer Studies in Media & Popular Culture 6.3)
- Children and virtuality (The Lion and the Unicorn 45.1)
- Teaching and learning with "Let's Play" videos (Teaching & Learning Inquiry 9.1)
- The keyword "trans" in children's literature studies (Keywords for Children's Literature, 2nd Ed., 2021)
- The history of queer representation in picture books (Literary Cultures and Twenty-First Century Childhoods, 2020)
- Horror and slasher film tropes in queer young adult literature (with Joshua Whitehead, Research on Diversity in Youth Literature 2.1)
- A queer adolescent trope I call the "Earnest Elfin Dream Gay" (Public Books, 2018)
- The history of childhood and perversity (Jeunesse: Young People, Texts, Cultures 3.1)
I also co-edited, with Ela Przybylo, a special issue of ESC (40.1) entitled Hysteria Manifest: Cultural Lives of a Great Disorder. For more, see my personal webpage.
Participation in university strategic initiatives
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|ENGL 685/529||Video Games and the Bildungsroman||Winter 2022|
|ENGL 426||Queer Theory and Video Games||Winter 2021|
|ENGL 396||Literature for Young People||Fall 2020|
- Teaching Excellence Award, Students' Union, University of Calgary. 2021
- Edited Book Award (for Queer as Camp), Children's Literature Association. 2021
- Outstanding Early Career Teacher, Faculty of Arts, University of Calgary. 2020
- Insight Development Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. 2019
- Wayne O. McCready Resident Fellowship for an Emerging Scholar, Calgary Institute for the Humanities. 2019
In the News
- Derritt Mason, "Queer Anxieties of Young Adult Literature and Culture". New Books Network (Podcast). (2021)
- Three Questions with Derritt Mason. Calgary Public Library. (2019)
- What’s the Price of Invisibility? Changing Perceptions of Gender Through Representation in Art. University of Calgary. (2019)
- Highlights from Dr. Derritt Mason's Lecture. National Center for the Study of Children's Literature. (2018)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.