Chelsea Willness, PhD, ICD.D
Haskayne School of Business, Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources [OBHR]
PhD, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, University of Calgary,
MSc, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, University of Calgary,
BA Hon, Psychology, University of Saskatchewan,
Dr. Willness joined Haskayne School of Business in July 2023. She has held two national research grants (SSHRC) for her research on how stakeholders—like job seekers, employees, or consumers—respond to organizations' environmental practices and community involvement (e.g., corporate social responsibility or CSR). She has published this work in top journals and book chapters, and presented to academic and professional audiences locally, nationally, and internationally. She is currently a member of a $2.5M SSHRC international research partnership focusing on monitoring and evaluating climate communication and education (MECCE).
From 2020 – 2022, Dr. Willness served as University Secretary & Chief Governance Officer for the University of Saskatchewan. For more than a decade, she has been actively involved in governance initiatives in the not-for-profit sector. She has consulted for a wide variety of organizations in areas such as CSR, governance, strategy, and stakeholder engagement. She holds the national ICD.D designation, as well as certificates in climate governance and board oversight of climate change.
Chelsea is a passionate champion of community-engaged scholarship and teaching. She received University, college, and international teaching awards for this work while at USask. She was also awarded an Innovation in Teaching Award from the Academy of Management for her design and implementation of HR courses that integrate community-based experiential learning.
Highlights of Dr. Willness's research interests and expertise:
- Social/environmental initiatives and organizational reputation
- Non-profit, corporate, and post-secondary governance
- Corporate social responsibility (CSR)
- Attracting, selecting, and retaining talent
- Community partnerships and stakeholder engagement
- Leadership and sustainability
- Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology
Areas of Research
Participation in university strategic initiatives
- Glavas, A., Hahn, T., Jones, D. A., & Willness, C.R. Business & Society. (2023)
- Willness, C.R., Boakye-Danquah, J., & Nichols, D. Academy of Management Learning & Education. 112-131. (2023)
- Jones, D.A., Willness, C.R., & Glavas, A. Frontiers in Psychology. (2017)
- Schmidt, J.A., Willness, C.R., Jones, D.A., & Bourdage, J. The International Journal of Human Resource Management. 571-594. (2018)
- Schmidt, J.A., Pohler, D.M., & Willness, C.R. Human Resource Management. 65-81. (2018)
- Jones, D.A., Willness, C.R., & Heller, K.W. Frontiers in Psychology. 1-16.. (2016)
- Jones, D.A., Willness, C.R., & Madey, S. Academy of Management Journal. 383-404. (2014)
- Willness, C.R., Jones, D.A., Strah, N., & Rupp, D. In O. Laasch, D. Jamali, R. E. Freeman, & R. Suddaby (Eds). Research Handbook of Responsible Management. (2020)
- Glavas, A., & Willness, C.R. In D. Haski-Leventhal, L. Roza, & S. Brammer (Eds). Employee Engagement in Corporate Social Responsibility. (2020)
- Willness, C.R. In A. McWilliams, D.E. Rupp, D.S. Siegel, G. Stahl, & D.A. Waldman, Eds. The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Social Responsibility: Psychological and Organizational Perspectives. (2019)
- Willness, C.R. In J. Allen & R. Reiter-Palmon, Eds. The Cambridge Handbook of Organizational Community Engagement and Outreach. (2019)
- Willness, C.R., & Jones, D.A. In A. H. Huffman & S. R. Klein (Eds.), Green Organizations: Driving Change with I-O Psychology. (2013)
- Jones, D.A., & Willness, C.R. In K. Y. T. Yu & D. Cable (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Recruitment. (2013)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.