Bryce Tingle, QC
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
N. Murray Edwards Chair in Business Law
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Law
Director - Financial Markets Regulation Programme
School of Public Policy
Manager, Marketing & Communications
LLM York University, 2003
LLM Duke University, 1994
LLB University of Alberta, 1992
Bryce C. Tingle, LL.B, LL.M, holds the N. Murray Edwards Chair in Business Law at the University of Calgary. He is a member of the founding teams for several companies active in the technology, energy and financial industries. He has also served as the general counsel of several technology and natural resource companies. From 1994 to 2006, Mr. Tingle was a co-founder and partner of TingleMerrett LLP, focused on securities and corporate finance for growth companies. He has held adjunct teaching positions with the law faculties of the University of Alberta, Brigham Young University and the University of Calgary.
Mr. Tingle has a Masters of Law from Duke, a Masters of Law (E-business) from Osgoode, and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Alberta. He has served on various public and private corporate and charitable boards, including serving as a director of Alberta Ballet. He is married to an author and has four children.
Mr. Tingle was named one of the University of Calgary's Peak Scholars in 2014 and 2015. He won the Howard Tidswell Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence in 2019.
Mr. Tingle received the Queen's Counsel designation in 2020.
Mr. Tingle is a Member of the Securities Advisory Committee of the Alberta Securities Commission (ASC). He previously served on the Exempt Markets Committee of the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC), as past Chair of the Business Law (Alberta) subsection of the Canadian Bar Association and the Conduct Committee of the Law Society of Alberta.
Areas of Research
- Howard Tidswell Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence, Faculty of Law, University of Calgary. 2019
- University Recognition for Contributions to Entrepreneurship, 2014
- Alberta Centennial Medal, 2005
- Bryce C. Tingle. 4:4 Annals of Corporate Governance. (2019)
- Bryce C. Tingle. 43:2 Queen's L.J.. (2018)
- Bryce C. Tingle. 80 Sask. L. Rev.. (2017)
- Bryce C. Tingle. 59 Canadian Bus. L. J.. (2017)
- Bryce C. Tingle. Alberta Law Review, Vol. 54, No. 4.. (2017)
- Bryce C. Tingle. 49:2 UBC Law Review. (2016)
- Bryce C. Tingle. 57 Canadian Business Law Journal. (2015)
- Bryce C. Tingle. Dalhousie Law Journal, Vol. 37, No. 2. (2015)
- Tingle, Bryce C. and Pandes, J. Ari and Robinson, Michael J.. Canadian Business Law Journal, Vol. 54, No. 3. (2013)
- Bryce C. Tingle. 28 UBC Law Review. (1994)
- Bryce C. Tingle. 30 Alberta Law Review. (1992)
- Bryce C. Tingle. LexisNexis Canada. (2021)
- Bryce C. Tingle. LexisNexis Canada. (2018)
- Bryce C. Tingle. in Start-up and Growth Companies in Canada: A Guide to Legal and Business Practice, 2nd ed.. (2013)
In the News
- Entrepreneurs aren’t taking their companies public — and it’s a problem for our economy. The Conversation Canada. (2021)
- Terence Corcoran: Who's killing the IPO market?. The Financial Post. (2021)
- Wilks Brothers mounts Supreme Court challenge in ongoing battle with Calfrac. The Financial Post. (2021)