Faculty of Law
LLM Natural Resources Law, University of Alberta, 2000
LLB University of Alberta, 1995
BA Political Science, University of Alberta, 1990
Brian began his career as an associate with Tony Mandamin in Edmonton, Alberta, before starting his own practice in the areas of Aboriginal law, small business and non-profit law, real estate, and personal injury.
He has been involved in community and economic development initiatives with Aboriginal agencies, organizations and entrepreneurs for many years.
From 2003 to 2021, Brian held the role as Program Director of Indigenous Leadership Programs at the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity. He has developed and taught courses as a sessional instructor for the School of Native Studies at the University of Alberta and for the Faculty of Communication and Culture at the University of Calgary.
Brian is a member of the Sucker Creek First Nation in northern Alberta.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|LAW 579||Residential Schools Litigation|
- Brian Calliou. Robert Hamilton, John Borrows, Brent Mainprize, Ryan Beaton and Josh Nichols, eds., Wise Practices: Exploring Indigenous Economic Justice and Self-Determination. (2020)
- Brian Calliou. Keith G. Brown, Mary Beth Doucette and Janice Esther Tulk, eds., Indigenous Business in Canada: Principles and Practices. (2016)
- Cora Voyageur, Laura Brearley and Brian Calliou. Banff Centre Press. (2014)
- Brian Calliou. David Long and Olive Patricia Dickason, eds., Visions of the Heart: Canadian Aboriginal Issues, 3rd Edition. (2011)
- Brian Calliou. Yale Belanger, ed., Aboriginal Self-Government in Canada: Current Trends and Issues, 3rd Edition. (2008)
- Leadership: Courage Required, 21st Annual International Leadership Association Conference . (2019)
- Action, Chinese Canadians Together Foundation. (2019)
- Creative Leaders Conference hosted by Congress of Aboriginal Peoples. (2019)
- 8th Annual New Mexico Storytelling Conference. (2018)
- Indigenous Research Symposium sponsored by Queen’s University. (2018)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.