Dr. Alice de Koning, MBA, MSc, PhD
Haskayne School of Business, Entrepreneurship and Innovation [ENTI]
RBC Teaching Fellow in Entrepreneurial Thinking
Haskayne School of Business
For media enquiries, contact
Senior Communications Strategist, Haskayne School of Business
For more information about the Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking, please email email@example.com -- your email will be directed to the right person and responded to promptly.
For enquiries about StreetChallenge.ca please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact page at the web site.
In general, I respond to email more than phone, voicemails, or other types of messaging. Send an email!
Doctor of Philosophy Strategy and Entrepreneurship, INSEAD, 1999
M.B.A. International Business, University of Western Ontario, 1991
B.A. History; Christianity & Culture, University of Toronto, 1983
Alice de Koning, PhD, fills several leadership roles at Haskayne School of Business and more broadly at the University of Calgary. She has taught a variety of courses at the graduate and undergraduate level in both entrepreneurship and strategy. In addition to emphasizing the core concepts for both these disciplines, she implements a variety of experiential pedagogies in her classes. In every course, she promotes effective communication and critical thinking skills. Alice has an eclectic interest in businesses, industries, entrepreneurship, history, art, and education. Her current research projects include metaphors in public discourse of entrepreneurship, sustainable models for social enterprise, provincial regulation and recreational cannabis business, and place-based, community engaged, experiential learning pedagogies. Alice graduated from INSEAD (PhD) and the Ivey School of Business, Western University (MBA). She was previously on the faculty at Bertolon School of Business, Salem State University, J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University, and Stockholm School of Economics, and has spent time as a visiting scholar at Boston University and The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.
Areas of Research
Entrepreneurial thought and action takes place in specific contexts of people, places, and resources. My research looks at the interactions between context and the evolution of entrepreneurial activity at the level of individuals, industries, and clusters. Her current research projects include narratives and metaphors in public discourse of entrepreneurship, the role of story-telling in entrepreneurial action, sustainable models for social enterprise, provincial regulation and recreational cannabis business, and the context of pitch performances.
Place-based learning puts students into the context of specific places and communities, leading to deeper learning of the concepts of disciplines. As students are challenged to analyze and make recommendations, they learn more about themselves and about our communities. The research is creating a transdisciplinary community of people to develop modules and lesson plans to share, and investigating the impact of place-based learning on students.
Participation in university strategic initiatives
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|MGST 615||Strategic Business Analysis|
- First and Fast in Europe: the Launch of Compact Detergent (P&G Europe). Alice J.; Sumantra Ghoshal; Chris Bartlett; Christopher A. Bartlett; Verdin, Paul. INSEAD Case Publications. N/A. (2000)
- Opportunity Formation from a Socio-Cognitive Perspective. R. P. Singh; G. E. Hills; De Koning; J. Alice. N/A. N/A. (2000)
- Regional Organisations: Beware of the Pitfalls. Paul Verdin; J. Alice; Eline van Poeck; Venkat Subramanian; G. Yip; S. Ghoshal; C. Markides; De Koning; J. Birkenshaw. N/A. N/A. (2004)
- A Cross-Cultural Assessment of eBusiness Opportunities in Russia and Sweden, Cultural Framework and Challenges. J. Alice; Carl Fey; Priya Raju; De Koning; Rachel Doern. N/A. N/A. (2006)
- Enacting, Experimenting and Exploring Metaphor Methodologies in Entrepreneurship. Sarah; Alice J.; C. Leitch; H. Neergaard; Drakapoulou Dodd. N/A. N/A. (2015)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.