Dr. Alan Santinele Martino, PhD
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Cumming School of Medicine, Department of Community Health Sciences
I'm looking for...
B.A. (honors) Sociology, St. Lawrence University, 2011
M.A. Sociology, University of Lethbridge, 2014
Ph.D. Sociology, McMaster University, 2020
Dr. Alan Martino (he/him) is a faculty member in the Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies program in the Department of Community Health Sciences at the University of Calgary.
His main research interests are in critical disability studies, gender and sexualities; feminist and critical disability studies theories; qualitative and community-based research (particularly participatory and inclusive research methodologies). His doctoral research examined the romantic and sexual lives of adults with intellectual disabilities in Ontario, Canada, by putting into conversation theories from both the sociology of sexualities and the field of critical disability studies. His current research project explores the intimate lives of 2SLGBTQ+ disabled people in Alberta.
His work has been published in journals, including Disability Studies Quarterly, Canadian Disability Studies Journal, and Culture, Health and Sexuality, as well as edited volumes focused on disability and/or sexualities studies. He is the former co-lead for the Sociology of Disability Research Cluster at the Canadian Sociological Association, as well as the current co-lead for the emerging Disability and Intimate Citizenship Research and Advocacy Hub.
Areas of Research
Participation in university strategic initiatives
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|CORE 591||Advanced Study Topics in Community Rehabilitation||Fall 2021|
|CORE 594 T03||Practicum I||Fall 2021|
|HSOC 408||Health Research Methods and Research Field Practicum||Fall 2021|
|CORE 435 L02||Social Research in Disability, Health and Rehabilitation Disablement||Fall 2021|
|MDCH 700||Directed Study Course: Queering the Family: Reimagining the Family||Fall 2021|
- Santinele Martino, A.. Introducing the New Sexuality Studies. (2021)
- Santinele Martino, A. . Culture, Health & Sexuality. (2021)
- Santinele Martino, A. . Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities. . (2021)
- Santinele Martino, A., & Fudge Schormans, A. . Routledge Handbook of Disability and Sexuality. (2021)
- Barken, R. & Santinele Martino, A. . The Aging/Disability Nexus . (2020)
- Santinele Martino, A. . Young, Disabled and LGBT+: Voices, Identities and Intersections . (2020)
- Marquis, E., Cheng, B., Nair, M., Santinele Martino, A., & Roxå, T. . Journal of Further and Higher Education. (2020)
- Santinele Martino, A. & Perreault-Laird, J. . Disability Studies Quarterly. (2019)
- Santinele Martino, A. & Andrejek, N.. Deviant Behavior. (2019)
- Santinele Martino, A. & Campbell, S. M. . The Routledge Handbook of Disability Activism . (2019)
- Santinele Martino, A. . Dis/consent: Perspectives on Sexual Violence and Consensuality. (2019)
- Santinele Martino, A. & Fudge Schormans, A. . Forum: Qualitative Social Research. (2018)
- Santinele Martino, A. . Sociology Compass. (2017)