Dr. Ahmed Alade Tiamiyu, BSc, MSc, PhD
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Office: +1(403) 220-4704
I'm looking for...
PhD Mechanical Engineering (Materials Science), University of Saskatchewan, 2019
MSc Mechanical Engineering (Materials Science), University of Saskatchewan, 2015
BSc Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, University of Lagos, 2011
Dr. Ahmed (Tia) Tiamiyu joined the Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering department at the University of Calgary as an Assistant Professor in September 2021. Before then, Dr. Tia was a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he was also a board member of the MIT Postdoctoral Association. He received his doctorate and master's degrees from the University of Saskatchewan with a specialization in materials science, and a bachelor’s degree in metallurgy from the University of Lagos. Dr. Tia is both NSERC Vanier and NSERC PDF scholar. His research focuses on understanding the processing-structure-property-performance relationships in materials with an emphasis on materials synthesis and optimization for improved performance in extreme service conditions. Dr. Tia is currently developing the Materials Processing and Performance (MaPP) Lab at the University of Calgary to pursue different research projects based on his area of specialization.
Areas of Research
New materials/alloys design-
- Traditional and High entropy alloys
- Powder metallurgy
- bulk nanograin-stabilized alloys for lightweighting
- ultra-high wear-resistant surface coatings
- Additive manufacturing
- Crystallographic texture control: tailoring grain orientation in materials to aid desirable properties.
- Microballistics (High-velocity impact of single microparticles)
- Mechanical behavior of materials at high strain rates
Participation in university strategic initiatives
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|ENME 421||Materials I||Winter 2022|
- NSERC Post-doctoral fellowship, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. 2019
- Toyota Automotive Engineering and Safety Scholarship , Toyota . 2019
- NSERC Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. 2021
- A. A. Tiamiyu, Y. Sun, K. A. Nelson, C A. Schuh . Acta Materialia. 159-169. (2021)
- A. A. Tiamiyu and C. A. Schuh . Surface and Coatings Technology. 126386. (2020)
- A. A. Tiamiyu, U. Eduok, J. A. Szpunar, and A. G. Odeshi . Scientific Reports. 12116. (2019)
- A. A. Tiamiyu, T. Vahid, J. A. Szpunar, A. G. Odeshi, and A. K. Khan . International Journal of Plasticity. 79–99. (2018)
- A. A. Tiamiyu, A. G. Odeshi, and J. A. Szpunar . Materials Science and Engineering A. 233–49. (2018)
- Ahmed A. Tiamiyu , Edward L. Pang , Xi Chen, James M. LeBeau , Keith A. Nelson , and Christopher A. Schuh. Nature Materials. (2022)
In the News
- Talking outside the tower. EECS Communication Lab + MIT Libraries. (2021)
- Four U of S students awarded prestigious Vanier Scholarships. U of S News. (2017)
- Researchers unveil a secret of stronger metals: Study shows what happens when crystalline grains in metals reform at nanometer scales, improving metal properties.. MIT News. (2022)
- UCalgary researcher helps solve secret of strengthening metals. (2022)